cat6 vs cat5e

jamesaston

n3wb
Reaction score
The more I read, the more confusing it gets. From what i understand, both of these are fine to use up to gigabit connection speeds, but cat6 is less "crosstalk". Based on that, how will you select one? Will regular residential installation of 5 cams benefit from cat6 or should I stick with cat5e?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You won't benefit in much if any practical way now. i.e., Your cams won't run any better/faster. "Crosstalk" is minimized in the case of Cat6 to permit the higher data rates at 10 Gbps not really to make lower data rates work any better. That said, you may want to use Cat6 just to future-proof things. The cost difference isn't much these days; rather, running the cable is where most of the effort/cost is if paying someone. Either will function fine. Depends on your budget and future plans.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The more I read, the more confusing it gets. From what i understand, both of these are fine to use up to gigabit connection speeds, but cat6 is less "crosstalk". Based on that, how will you select one? Will regular residential installation of 5 cams benefit from cat6 or should I stick with cat5e?
Hi Jamesaston,

Do you already have a spool of cat5e? If so use it.

Do you plan to only buy one spool of cable? For a little more you can get cat6.

Do you need to put multiple cables in a 1/2" EMT tube? Cat5e is typically a thinner cable due mostly to the plastic separator. So get Cat5e.

From
Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99

Cat 5e / Cat 6 ethernet cable:
DO NOT buy CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire - it is a fire hazard
  • Recommended that you buy buik cat5e/cat6 cable and not use the cable which comes in the kit, as if you need to return it you will have to also return the cables.
  • Recommended vendor for bulk Cat 5e / Cat 6 cable is monoprice, they often have sales during the weekend.
  • Either Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable will work with these cameras. Normally Cat6 cable is a bit thicker due to the plastic separator in the cable. Also Cat 6 cable often has wires slightly thicker than what you see in Cat 5e cables. While a thicker copper wire means less voltage loss over the run, it may not be significant for most of us. Note the spec for ethernet and PoE is 100M / 328 feet.
  • If you are pulling multiple wires through 1/2" EMT pipes or other tight spots it maybe better to use cat 5e.
  • If you are only buying one bulk box of cable you may want to get cat6 in case you would like to wire up other locations.
  • There are numerous types of Cat 5e / Cat 6 cable, you want to get Solid unshielded cable, either for in-wall installation or plenum rated cable ( better for multistory buildings and business type buildings ).
  • If you plan to have the cables exposed to UV get a UV rated cable, or place the cable in conduit.
  • Also get RJ45 ends which are rated for solid wires, as well as a crimping tool.
  • Remember to cut the cable longer than you think you will need, and leave some extra length in case you need to adjust the location a bit.
  • Recommend pulling N+1 or more cables to each location, where N = number of cameras you plan to have. This way if you decide to add an additional PoE or ethernet device nearby you can in the future.
  • If your attic is too short to easily work in recommending using Grey PVC pipe 3/4"+ and pushing the sections to the locations you want to run the cat5e/cat6 cabling to.
  • Have a friend help you pull the cabling so you can reduce snags and knots which may cause breakages. Also remember not to pull the cable with too much force as it is more delicate than electrical cables that you may be used to pulling.
  • You can use the pull tools which electricians use to help with the wiring pulls.
  • Unshielded vs shielded cable - typically you can avoid using shielded cable, just try to keep the cable 1 foot or more from electrical lines, florescent lights, and electrical motors. If you must pass by something which produces EMF / electrical interference you can use a section of EMT pipe in that location to pass the cat5e/cat6 cable through.
  • Thieves have been known to cut telcom cables to houses as well as cat5e/cat6 to cameras - if you feel the need to protect your cables do consider putting them in conduit or run the lines inside the wall. ( Metal EMT works well in most cases, in humid environments you may want to consider less strong non-metal conduit. )