Cautionary tale!

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Due to a failed hard drive in my NVR, I decided it "was time" to go legit and move up to a WD Purple spinner (see this thread). Anticipating it was going to be a "simple" swap from one "D:" drive to another, I powered down my system, took out the failed drive and installed the shiny new 8 TB Purple spinner.

Upon power up, I was getting a "no boot partition found" After messing around with it for about 30 minutes in the rack, I decided to take it out so I could sit down and really trouble shoot it. No luck with any BIOS settings or combination of old drive powered up, powered down but connected, etc. Even putting everything back the way it was, the system was not budging

.....queue Gilligan's Island music here.......

Anyhoooo.....Some quality time with The Google led me to the following knowledge base article on the Dell website.

Of course, as my luck would have it, this just happens to be my configuration and computer combination so here I sit reinstalling EVERYTHING from scratch since, wait for it, no backup because this was supposed to be a "simple" storage hard drive swap.

so, keep your powder dry boys and girls and backup before doing anything on your computer.

The lemonade here is that I "get" to install everything from scratch and correct some things that were bugging me about my previous install.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
That is a pain.

I wouldn't have expected any issues doing this, either! Thanks for the heads-up.

As you say, as much as it's a pain to reinstall everything, it is almost always a chance to clean things up and do it all "right". But that is an unexpected bummer, for sure!

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should also have said that I followed the advice from @fenderman and did NOT use the Dell installation media but downloaded the generic image from Microsoft and did my original and today's clean install with it so the bug appears to be something BIOS related?