CCTV for owl house?

RadOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bit odd... but I'm replacing an owl house 40 feet up in a tree and I'd like to put a camera in it this time. I was hoping someone might help me lead me to the right setup as I can't seem to find anything with the specs I'm looking for.

• Good image quality - otherwise what's the point?
  • 40 feet in a tree is not someplace I want to fix or adjust so I'm looking for something high quality and weatherproof.
  • Its easy to run 12v from an outdoor lighting transformer already in place. Running POE would probably be ideal, but seems very difficult as its not just running it to the soffit - which in my house would not be easy anyway. So I was thinking a wifi camera is the way to go.
  • An owl house is a confined space, I'm looking for wide angle - 2.8mm on a 1/3" is narrower than optimal. I was going to try a 2.5mm or 2.1mm lens but the lens on the IPC-HDBW1320E-W I was trying is glued on.
The IPC-HDBW1320E-W was the closest I could find to these criteria and I'm considering removing the glue with a Dremel. But I could repurpose that one if someone could point out a better idea.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't be too quick to assume that you need a super super wide angle lens until you try it. I put a 6mm lens in a blue jay house and the field of view was just what I had wanted. Depth of focus was a bit too shallow, which is usually helped with a shorter lens though.