CCTV Systems

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which CCTV System has the best user friendly software? In my option and this is JUST my option I rate Lorex as #1, and then Amcrest as #2. I've used the other camera systems from amazon, and they just don't work at being user friend. How would people rate reolink?
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Which CCTV System has the best user friendly software? In my option and this is JUST my option I rate Lorex as #1, and then Amcrest as #2. I've used the other camera systems from amazon, and they just don't work at being user friend. How would people rate reolink?
Thanks
Lorex and amcrest are both made by the same company. Dahua.
Reolink is shit. The company lies, posts fake reviews and spams forums.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Lorex and amcrest are both made by the same company. Dahua.
Reolink is shit. The company lies, posts fake reviews and spams forums.
This pretty much sums it up. I can say that I actually like Hik's UI, but only because i'm used to it.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll be staying with Amcrest, as I can't afford Lorex anymore :(.
Next Question: I've been study the different in CCTV systems. I know the analog system really good (I think I do anyway). This new system NVR's has really caught my eye and I like it because it brings me back to networking and stuff. I love computers. Okay, here's the question. If I have a wifi PTZ camera, how does this hook up to the NVR? I'm working on the power problem as we speak tho, unless someone else wants to comment on it. My problem is that I want to put a wifi PTZ camera about 80 feet from my house. But I don't have a plug there. Any suggestions?
Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi for a security cam is not reliable. Avoid Wifi.
Run an Ethernet cable to that point using POE, the distance isn't an issue.
I suspect you need to study this carefully: Wiki and Cliff Notes
Amcrest and Lorex strip features from there firmware.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess I should let you all know what I'm going to do. I'll be moving to VA in about a year. My wife and I love these CCTV stuff and it watched over our horses when we had them in the barn at night. Well, we traded the horse in for 16 cats, and taking all of our cats with us when we move. I'm planning on putting up a 100' x 100' x 100' fence in yard to keep these guys safe and let them go outside when they want to. Currently right now they are all over the place, and at the ripe old age of 60 something, chasing them through the woods isn't for us. So I would love to put up PTZ cameras in the back yard and around the house so that we can watch them, as well for us to watch what is going around.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, only time will tell at the time. But thanks.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I should let you all know what I'm going to do. I'll be moving to VA in about a year. My wife and I love these CCTV stuff and it watched over our horses when we had them in the barn at night. Well, we traded the horse in for 16 cats, and taking all of our cats with us when we move. I'm planning on putting up a 100' x 100' x 100' fence in yard to keep these guys safe and let them go outside when they want to. Currently right now they are all over the place, and at the ripe old age of 60 something, chasing them through the woods isn't for us. So I would love to put up PTZ cameras in the back yard and around the house so that we can watch them, as well for us to watch what is going around.
Can you please post a pic of the 100 x 100 x 100 cube you are building....I'd really like to see it.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think you will find it rather difficult keeping cats in a fenced in area. ;)
I have a fenced in yard and it does nothing to keep the neighbors cat out! Whether it jumps over it or slips through one of the tiny gaps around the gate it hunts our yard at night. I'm not complaining since it controls the mice for us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey th182 have you tried a cat fence? Just reverse it. Google cat fence and see how it works. I'm going to try and keep my cats inside of it. The top of the wire bends downward as the cat reaches it. They say cats hate this and then drops back to the ground. Another way I've heard others keep cats out is put a bull dog outside. But then again, I'm sure the owners will be at your door very quickly. The only way humanely in doing this is turning them over to the SPCA. That is what I'm going to have to do very soon. Good luck. And for you Sybertiger, it's all it in your head, think about it, and once I have it built you'll be the first to see it live on cam.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice thing about Amcrest is that in some models you should be able to reflash original Dahua firmware and be able to regain certain features like IVS. There is also LaView to consider. They use a mix of Dahua and Hikvision as well, and some of their rebranded Dahua models you can easily reflash original Dahua firmware and Voila, you get a fully featured Dahua product for less.

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's a good one for ya. I got this camera that I order from Amazon today. I'm use to bullet cameras and the one's I use to get only have 1 cable coming out of them. Today, this camera has 3. I know what two of them are for which is for the display and power. But this 3rd one I have no clue. Can someone help me on this and how it works? Thanks.

Attachments

timlab

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since I'm new I haven't figure how to edit my last entry. Therefore, I have ask it here. I do have two dvr's. They are both from Amcrest. Now comes the fun part. I would like to share my cameras with my son who lives in KCMO. However, I don't want him to have full control over them. Maybe just to view to start off with. So how do I do this? Do I just give him the IP Address or what?
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I know what two of them are for which is for the display and power. But this 3rd one I have no clue. Can someone help me on this and how it works?
Those look like the mode switches on an analogue camera to select the various video standards that the camera supports.
4 combinations by the looks of it.