cctv vs IP

danwhite99

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a DB Power IP cam which is wireless. A foscam bullet cam that is wifi and a wireless Wanscam which is wired via the cat 5 cable.
I am looking for something that has a 10x optical zoom. Just about everything that is 10x under $ 300.00 is CCTV. the pictures show no wifi antennae
but a connector that appears to be Cat 5. My question is can I connect that cat 5 directly into my router? or maybe I am looking at the wrong cameras.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance

Dan

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are confusing some terminology....
If the camera has an ethernet connection then its most likely an ip camera that you can connect to your router. Can you post a link to the camera?
Generally the really cheap stuff is junk...you can get a good quality dahua camera for about 600 or so..yeah its double, but reliable...
Some folks over at cam it have been successful with a cheap poker hd camera for under 300 http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=7856.msg53477#msg53477
Hard to tell how reliable it will be...sometimes its expensive to be cheap :)
Why do you need a PTZ is there are particular reason? What are you going to monitor?
EDIT: THE POKER CAMERAS ARE STARTING TO HAVE FOCUSING ISSUES...they are mentioned in the thread...its not worth the risk...if you NEED ptz, pony up for a dahua...

danwhite99

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. So if it says IP but not wireless than i can plug directly into the router and port forward as i have the others?

Dan

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can connect it to your router it will be WAY better than wifi ...dont spend money on a poor quality vga camera.. You may be much better off with two or three fixed cameras for the same price ...like a hikvision turret 2332 ... unless you will sit there monitoring the ptz its a waste of money and there are WAY better fixed cameras available for less...with two/three fixed cameras you can monitor the entire location 24/7