Ceiling access panel for mounting ceiling camera

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone used a ceiling access panel to mount a ceiling camera?

I need to cut the drywall in the ceiling... but since I'm cutting a whole anyway to be able to fetch the rj45 cable through the wall, I might as well not patch it but install a door access panel. Then mount the camera on the door access panel itself.

This way, if I ever need to change cameras again, I don't need to mess with drywall or patching. I can simply remove the door and then install a new camera against the door.

Thoughts?

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it works for the location of the camera to view what you want then no reason to not, except I might be a little concerned with the strength of the latches. Depending on the camera, it might drag it down a little bit. Why not just use the access panel to fetch the cable, and drill a 3/8 hole on a location nearby, snake the cable and mount the camera securely.

Drew

Reaction score
I have one of those exact panels inside our pantry for access to the gas line behind our fireplace. It's not terribly sturdy, and isn't seriously firm when 'popped' into place. The plastic is rather thin, and the heat of some cameras coupled with the weight, might be too much for it. Color me skeptical, but it's certainly worth a shot.