ceiling fan

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using smartthings and alexa to control some lights and monitor sensors around the house. I'd like to control my ceiling fan and lights on it. I haven't found a z-wave device to do this, anyone on here have a setup that works for this?

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just get a z-wave on/off wall switch, you cant use a dimmer on a fan to control speeds..

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no wall switch for this fan, it's controlled by remote only. I was thinking of tucking a wall switch into the canopy of the fan to control the lights.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no wall switch for this fan, it's controlled by remote only. I was thinking of tucking a wall switch into the canopy of the fan to control the lights.
Do you want to control the fan and the lights or just the lights ?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
then use this one: Enerwave Z-Wave Plus Switch Module ZWN-RSM2 Converting 2 Current Switches Smart, NEUTRAL WIRE REQUIRED, Black - - Amazon.com

Do you not have a wall switch for the light? I'd put a normal dimmer on the wall switch and the on/off in the electrical box attached to the fan for turning it on/off.
I hate the whole neutral wire required I mean I understand it but this is something I think house contractors should been required to do in the 1970's on up. My house was built in 98 and I was shocked not to see a neutral wire,so when I installed my z wave dimmers I had to install a neutral in all the boxs what a pain in the ass. Now days I think it's code

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tell me about it, my house was built in 1967.. getting neutrals into the switches been alot of fucking work.

these mini units installed up in the light box on the ceiling though should have no problems, it'll have a neutral there for sure.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was lucky that most of my house was re-wired with a neutral. It was a relief when I started installed z-wave stuff.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It was built in '47 but the house was re-wired when the addition was built.

Reaction score
Yeah, there really isn't much for fan controllers on z-wave, between better multi-button(scene controller) switches and a proper(minus reverse) fan/light controller I've stuck with Insteon for my fans and wall switches.

Best option is to stick a GE fan control wall switch in the canopay for fan speed, a micro dimmer/switch for the lights and your choice of multi button scene controller if you want a wall mount switch.

mamaliga

n3wb
Reaction score
This post was allowed to highlight how detailed spammers have become. This guy is a lying ass working for lightsonline.com or one of their hired SEO - I use that term loosely. Dont buy from https://www.lightsonline.com as they cannot be trusted if this is how they seek out clicks. Spam email used jiat77453@gmail.com.
Giving the fact that almost 4 years have passed since the initial post on this topic, I would like very much to get an update on how you've managed your situation with the ceiling fan? I can't say that I like ceiling fans a lot, but I do agree that they are useful, especially in the summer. If you would have asked this question in 2020, I would have told you to take a look at https://www.lightsonline.com/fans, because they would definitely help you out. In 2017 I didn't have a house and I was living with my parents, so there was no chance I could help you with that.
This post was allowed to highlight how detailed spammers have become. This guy is a lying ass working for lightsonline.com or one of their hired SEO - I use that term loosely. Dont buy from https://www.lightsonline.com as they cannot be trusted if this is how they seek out clicks.

Last edited by a moderator: