Cellular only monitored security systems

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I was asked about a security system(monitored) that would alert police if broken in to. The building has power but no internet and is in a remote location. Cell service is decent in the area. Is anybody using a 24/7 system like that?

Thanks

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I will look into that.
Alarmgrid.com has good information. I didn’t buy from them since I had a local connection but they have a lot of videos on their YouTube channel that answered a lot of questions.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Note this cannot be used as primary. It won’t let you add sensors and make certain other changes while on cellular.
This is one reason I didn't go with Ring.

My first system was Simons XT which worked fine but not having a display and having to program everything via long, complex keypad strings was a pain. After 9 yrs of use when the system started having issues I did a lot or research and decided on the Qolsys for the following reasons: They are backwards compatible with other wireless sensors so I did not have to re-invest on sensors that I already had. The types of available sensors (branded and third party) is extensive; I like the door sensors that are recessed into the door than the ones that are visible. I even purchased a sensor that just listens for the smoke detectors to sound and then notifies the fire department. All the programing can be done right at the display with a very easy UI. The display is handy to tell the current status of the alarm, easily identify errors or if a door or window was currently open. The display has a camera and takes a picture of whomever disarms the system. They accept Power-G sensors which work at further distances with higher encryptions. A secondary display (even a third) can be added for other entrances; this also acts as an signal extender for the sensors. And there are many sensor groups to assign each sensor so you control when or if it reports to the central monitoring or just notifies the user.

Cellular is the primary and mandatory, internet is optional. I also like the redundancies and algorithms. If an exterior door is opened a signal is immediately sent, monitoring then expects a disarm signal to be received within 30 seconds; if the burglar smashes the display so that the alarm can not be sent, the system knows something is wrong and notifies the authorities.

I consider Ring sort of like Lorex; prepackaged, cheaper systems for the novice who wants a quick DIY plug-n-play system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is one reason I didn't go with Ring.

My first system was Simons XT which worked fine but not having a display and having to program everything via long, complex keypad strings was a pain. After 9 yrs of use when the system started having issues I did a lot or research and decided on the Qolsys for the following reasons: They are backwards compatible with other wireless sensors so I did not have to re-invest on sensors that I already had. The types of available sensors (branded and third party) is extensive; I like the door sensors that are recessed into the door than the ones that are visible. I even purchased a sensor that just listens for the smoke detectors to sound and then notifies the fire department. All the programing can be done right at the display with a very easy UI. The display is handy to tell the current status of the alarm, easily identify errors or if a door or window was currently open. The display has a camera and takes a picture of whomever disarms the system. They accept Power-G sensors which work at further distances with higher encryptions. A secondary display (even a third) can be added for other entrances; this also acts as an signal extender for the sensors. And there are many sensor groups to assign each sensor so you control when or if it reports to the central monitoring or just notifies the user.

Cellular is the primary and mandatory, internet is optional. I also like the redundancies and algorithms. If an exterior door is opened a signal is immediately sent, monitoring then expects a disarm signal to be received within 30 seconds; if the burglar smashes the display so that the alarm can not be sent, the system knows something is wrong and notifies the authorities.

I consider Ring sort of like Lorex; prepackaged, cheaper systems for the novice who wants a quick DIY plug-n-play system.
The ring operating over the internet connection then fails over to the cellular - that is not a negative unless like the OP you dont have an internet connection. Ring has the same smash and grab protection as well as the smoke and co listeners. Its not on the same level as Qolsys but is insanely cheap to buy and the monitoring is only 8.33 a month.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The ring operating over the internet connection then fails over to the cellular - that is not a negative unless like the OP you dont have an internet connection. Ring has the same smash and grab protection as well as the smoke and co listeners. Its not on the same level as Qolsys but is insanely cheap to buy and the monitoring is only 8.33 a month.
Depending on where I am stationed, the wife might come stay with me a while so we would suspend cable tv and internet service. Yes $9 a month isn't bad, I pay @$27. I don't know what type of building c hris527 want to monitor and what type of configurations he needs (i.e. multiple partitions).

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on where I am stationed, the wife might come stay with me a while so we would suspend cable tv and internet service. Yes $9 a month isn't bad, I pay @$27. I don't know what type of building c hris527 want to monitor and what type of configurations he needs (i.e. multiple partitions).
Remote Building/Garage lots of high value assets, it has ac power perhaps 4 window and two door alarms and perhaps something for a garage door, he does have a remote for the garage door.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Remote Building/Garage lots of high value assets, it has ac power perhaps 4 window and two door alarms and perhaps something for a garage door, he does have a remote for the garage door.
look at a honeywell vista system with cellular communicator. This will allow you to wire up some loud speakers for alarm all over the building and outside.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the building and garage attached; if detached, how far apart?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the building and garage attached; if detached, how far apart?
this is 3000' non line of site from any house. Its only a storage building in the middle of heavy Forrest.