century link private ip address

Reaction score
I can not get my phone connected via wan.
via lan no problem.i called asus which is my router and they told me I could not do this because century link says my ip is private not public.
any ideas
thanks joel

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that means your basically boned if your behind carrier grade NAT and do not have a publicly routable IP to utilize..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can not get my phone connected via wan.
via lan no problem.i called asus which is my router and they told me I could not do this because century link says my ip is private not public.
any ideas
thanks joel
Most likely since you have century link your Asus router is behind a DSL gateway (modem/router in one). If your description is accurate and you don't have a public IP/NAT/Router you control then there's nothing you can do, but this would be unusual for residential.

Assuming this is the case, you have two choices:
-Set the century link gateway to transparent bridging and enter your PPPoE credentials (which you may not know) into the Asus. Failure to enter PPPoE credentials will result in loss of internet.
-Configure the Asus so it's just an access point and let the century link gateway do the routing.

Forwarding ports to your cameras is not recommended. Setting up a VPN is the best way to securely access your cameras remotely.

I think you're going to need to spend quite a bit of time learning some networking fundamentals before you can do any of this successfully.

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas
the modem is separate from router,modem is netgear router is asus
do youj know how to find the ppp0e?
thanks again
joel

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can pretty much guarantee your "modem" isn't just a modem. It's almost certainly a gateway with modem and router in one.

PPPoE credentials may be accessible from the web interface on the gateway. They would have been provided by century link at installation. If you don't have them and want to switch the netgear to transparent bridge you'd need to contact them.

You can forward ports and such without doing this, you just have to deal with the issues of a double nat. You could also dmz the second router in the first router.

Ultimately you shouldn't forward ports to cameras, you should setup a VPN server. (search here and elsewhere on the net).