Certificate required?

RadOD

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new B5442E-ZE that will not let me view video out without a certificate installed. If I create then install one under system-->safety, I can view in the web app but I cannot see in any third party software. I'm running Blue Iris, Zoneminder et. al as dockers under Unraid. If I download the certificate, where would I even install it?

I also have a T5442TM-AS running the same firmware that never required a certificate and none of my older cameras ever complained about them. Is this something new? Do I need to re-flash?

RadOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Now I did it... I had both 5442's open in a browser trying to compare and see if I had missed something. I don't think I changed anything at that time but now Both require a certificate! HTTPS is still off.

I'm in over my head now! I have a LetsEncrypt wildcard certificate and it seems like it would be easy to create an intermediate CA on my firewall and then create certificates from that for each camera. But I am not sure what I'm doing at this point and I don't want to lose access to my cameras if I wipe and reinstall my firewall software or something. At this point I am a too unclear on the concept of camera certificates to know what to google. I see them as analogous to certificates on a PC - but my PC has numerous certificates and trusted CA's. I use the Let'sEncrypt certificate so that I don't have to download a server certificate to every single PC on my network. Can anyone point me to a guide?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @RadOD

Interesting issue. I'm not certain of what the issue is..

hmmm...

Sometimes the certs in my browser has issues and I need to update the browser.

Try getting a update on your browser and see if that resolves it.

( I'm very interested now to see what the issue really is.. )

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I would try another browser.Maybe do a factory reset and try again?
If you are using Firefox, make sure the HTTPS only is not checked.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I just set up two new Dahua cameras. They displayed video on a Chrome browser out of the box without having to install any plugins. However I updated the firmware after setting them up and the new firmware required that I install a plugin to use it. I also found that I needed to use a IE TAB (a Chrome extension for IE compatibility) to actually see all of my options. This was true even on the old firmware, I just didn't know I was missing anything at first.

Long story short, it is quite possible that something changed in the software (or perhaps just this camera model) that now requires a plugin to work.

Last edited:

RadOD

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think it is the IE Tab issue. That is a question of Chrome and other newer browsers preventing insecure types of apps (NPAPI) from running - which broke all older cameras. These new cameras do not have that problem.

This I think is a SSL certificate issue. I don't understand it because I have not yet set it to use HTTPS. But I think it is because my OPNsense firewall is using a signed certificate (not self-signed) for a domain I own. It works on the internet but does not resolve to the correct domain on my intranet. I think I just need to create self signed certificates on the firewall and upload them to the cameras. When I have time............

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a gross error with your computer's date/time?

Are the cameras date/time sync'd with computer?