CGadSocket Errors Becoming Problematic

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve only been running Blue Iris since December and the experience has been mostly positive except for a few times now where I’ve found the application has entered into a faulted state. The computer and software is responsive however, camera feeds are lost, CPU use is 100% and RAM usage is near maximum consumption. The most recent ‘crash’ was the first time I’ve had just one camera fail. Other instances every camera has failed. See screencaps.

The system is an HP sff i5 6500 with 8 gb of RAM. Very vanilla install and only running BI. According to the Intel update utility, all drivers are up to date. I’m running 6 Dahua cameras 5 HDW5231R-ZE and 1 HDBW4231F-AS. H.264 with a 15 fps frame rate and matching I frame interval for all camera’s main and sub streams.

I’ve reached out to BI support and was informed it is a hardware acceleration issue and that I should turn it off. Support died at “it should work”. So here I am, lost. This problem has persisted across several BI versions now. I’m not sure what to troubleshoot to figure out the problem. I’ve seen this has been a problem in the past. How have you resolved the problem?

I appreciate the help.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure that Hardware acceleration is off at all locations. There is the global location, but you can also set it in each camera, so make sure it is off in both places. An update in Blue Iris could have changed those settings from a previous version. Many times people have this issue and either BI or they at some point changed it within a camera setting.

It sounds like a memory leak to hit 100% CPU on that machine and 6 cameras. Try rolling back the graphics driver, and if you haven't done so, turn off Windows updates.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to get the same errors quite a while back but not as severe as yours and then they just went away. No idea what fixed the problem for me as I rarely change the config of BI or the cameras.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) are any of your cameras using wifi
2) are any of your camera traffic running through the router.
3) are all your cameras POE ?
4) did you do a Windows 10 clean install using "Microsoft media creation tool"

screen shots

1) windows system information, may need two shots to get all info.
2) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
3) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph, upper left corner) clip storage tab
5) blue Iris status cameras tab
6) from the cameras (NOT BI), the camera setting framerate, iframe, bitrate...... ( for 2 different camera types)
7) Windows properties for the graphics drive version.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
None of my cams are wifi, all POE and Windows was installed with MCT.

The error is an internal BI error as there is nothing logged in Windows Event Logs at all and as I said for me the problem appeared, stayed around for a few months and then disappeared.

Again as I said I don’t tend to change anything in my PC except for Windows updates which I manually install when it suits me. Video card drivers are from something like 2 years ago and I’ve configured Windows Update to never install driver updates.

I should add that I do update BI so I’m convinced that an update of BI resolved the issue for me. I did log a call with support about it but was just told to turn HA off as a solution.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
One last thing that I forgot to mention is that whenever I had the error on one of my cams the net result would be that sometimes HA on the cam that suffered the problem would get disabled.

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1) are any of your cameras using wifi
2) are any of your camera traffic running through the router.
3) are all your cameras POE ?
4) did you do a Windows 10 clean install using "Microsoft media creation tool"

screen shots

1) windows system information, may need two shots to get all info.
2) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
3) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph, upper left corner) clip storage tab
5) blue Iris status cameras tab
6) from the cameras (NOT BI), the camera setting framerate, iframe, bitrate...... ( for 2 different camera types)
7) Windows properties for the graphics drive version.
Thanks for taking a look Yankee. Hopefully I’ve gotten the screen shots you’ve requested. You’ll notice that in the camera status page HA is turned off. I was told by Ken to disable and that would be the fix. IMHO, thats not a fix. I’ve attached the pictures you’ve requested. Please let me know if I can provide any others. This weekend I’m going to roll the intel driver back to the suggested version pin the wiki above.

Here are the answers to your questions.
1. No camera is using WiF, 5 Dahua 52131rze and 1 4231fas
2. Traffic is ran through a Ubiquiti usw-24-poe. Both cameras and PC are on a separate vlan.
3. all cameras are poe
4. Windows 10 was a clean install. I bought the pc just for the purpose of BI. Fresh installed Win 10, decrapified, then installed BI. That’s it.

None of my cams are wifi, all POE and Windows was installed with MCT.

The error is an internal BI error as there is nothing logged in Windows Event Logs at all and as I said for me the problem appeared, stayed around for a few months and then disappeared.

Again as I said I don’t tend to change anything in my PC except for Windows updates which I manually install when it suits me. Video card drivers are from something like 2 years ago and I’ve configured Windows Update to never install driver updates.

I should add that I do update BI so I’m convinced that an update of BI resolved the issue for me. I did log a call with support about it but was just told to turn HA off as a solution.
Your experience sounds very similar to mine. However, mine hasnt fixed itself and has persisted across several updates now. I tend to agree with you in regards to the HA fault. Mine too disables HA when these errors occur.

Attachments

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I use H264.H on my 5231-ze cams which I thing might be the default?

As I said for me the problem appeared and just went away.

Lucas Tam

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure that Hardware acceleration is off at all locations.
I can't seem to use hardware acceleration ... after a few days, it entirely kills my setup.

Anyone else having trouble with an Nvidia T400 + HA + HikVision DVR?