Change Dahua camera from Chinese to English

AlwaysSomething

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you take a Dahua camera that is in Chinese and change the language to English? Can I just flash different firmware?

Someone is selling some used cameras but said they were in Chinese so I'd like to know before I buy them.

Which reminded me of something else. Is there a way to verify the camera model if the tag was removed? I thought I read somewhere once the camera is on the network you can add some parameters in the url and it would output the camera id/model (e.g.: IPC-XXXX) and maybe a little bit more info like serial number maybe. I think this was used to also identify the Dahua model number if the camera was a reseller brand (like Amcrest).

Thanks in advance.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you take a Dahua camera that is in Chinese and change the language to English? Can I just flash different firmware?

Someone is selling some used cameras but said they were in Chinese so I'd like to know before I buy them.

Which reminded me of something else. Is there a way to verify the camera model if the tag was removed? I thought I read somewhere once the camera is on the network you can add some parameters in the url and it would output the camera id/model (e.g.: IPC-XXXX) and maybe a little bit more info like serial number maybe. I think this was used to also identify the Dahua model number if the camera was a reseller brand (like Amcrest).

Thanks in advance.
dont buy that shit.

just buy from andy.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You've put yourself in a world of hurt. EVen if you can find some English firmeware that would go on, with every firmware update you might try you risk bricking the camera. Wrong firmware = no camera.

Best advice, stick it on ebay, buy an International or US version. Andy on here sells International versions that most of us use.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
You've put yourself in a world of hurt. EVen if you can find some English firmeware that would go on, with every firmware update you might try you risk bricking the camera. Wrong firmware = no camera.

Best advice, stick it on ebay, buy an International or US version. Andy on here sells International versions that most of us use.
this.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't buy it.

If you happened to already have such a camera you best course of action would be:
  • DO NOT USE A DAHUA NVR, you'll run into region lock problems
  • Use google translate in your web browser to limp along altering settings.
  • On your PC running VMS software like Blue Iris, add a second NIC to keep the camera from phoning home.

It's also likely to be a bit underwhelming spec wise and there may be better cheap cameras if you can't stomach spending enough for a good camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to verify the camera model if the tag was removed? I thought I read somewhere once the camera is on the network you can add some parameters in the url and it would output the camera id/model (e.g.: IPC-XXXX) and maybe a little bit more info like serial number maybe. I think this was used to also identify the Dahua model number if the camera was a reseller brand (like Amcrest).
Try this: issue the following HTTP command with a browser and you'll get YOUR response; mine is at the bottom:

Code:
http://username:password@Camera-IP/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo
appAutoStart=true
deviceType=IPC-HDW5442TM-AS
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=HI3516DV300
serialNumber=????????????
updateSerial=IPC-HDW5442TP-AS

AlwaysSomething

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses.

I have bought about a dozen cameras from Andy as I can (including a few in last's week sale) and am very happy buying from him.

FYI - It would have only been used with BI which is using a 2nd NIC to block the cameras.

@TonyR That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you.