Changed a couple cameras to "direct to disk".

bigbillsd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to determine what functionality I am losing by changing my cameras to direct to disk. Other than the CPU util has dropped considerably. I poked around and currently haven't seen anything different yet, but a few weeks from now I expect I will figure out I lost something by doing it. Any ideas what that will be?

I like to keep the GUI up (BI runs as a service) and keep it up on an RDP session till I can figure out how to get it on my TV's in a PIP...

Do I need to keep using the direct sync if I am writing direct to disk? I noticed the GPU util dropped from 14% to 8% after the change of the two high MP cameras to D2D.

Thanks, Bill

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to determine what functionality I am losing by changing my cameras to direct to disk. ...... Any ideas what that will be?
You lose BI's time and date stamp, you can use your cam's time and date stamp instead.
Do I need to keep using the direct sync if I am writing direct to disk?
Do you mean "Quick Sync"?
You don't have to but it's recommended to do so if supported by your hardware, according to Wiki.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris's help file pretty well explains everything.

The time and date stamp can be added during export if you recorded in .bvr format to start with. Although that requires re-encoding the video during export, which is slow and reduces the quality. It is best to have the camera embed its own date and time stamp so that Blue Iris never needs to re-encode to add it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris's help file pretty well explains everything.

The time and date stamp can be added during export if you recorded in .bvr format to start with. Although that requires re-encoding the video during export, which is slow and reduces the quality. It is best to have the camera embed its own date and time stamp so that Blue Iris never needs to re-encode to add it.
^^ and that. :D

bigbillsd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I reread the help file last night and it seems to say that motion detection doesn't happen unless the video is being encoded. The way I read direct to disk is its not encoding. Is that correct? -Bill