Changed CPU Now BI Is Low CPU

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by IDLE, Jan 13, 2018.

Share This Page

1. IDLE

IDLE Getting the hang of it

I enabled direct to disk yesterday to see if I could get the cpu down under 35%. I didn’t quit and start BI again. I changed the CPU last night to see if that would help. Went from a intel Xeon x5-1603 to a x5-1660. It’s now 9%. Do you think it’s the direct to disk or cpu that changed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

direct to disk has a dramatic effect on cpu...you dont state what the before and after result was...
    those cpus have various versions...

3. IDLE

Well I changed it all to direct to disk. But it was still 35%. I shit down pc to install new processor. Now after loading BI it’s now 9%. Maybe I’ll disable direct to disk and restart and see if it changes. I’m guessing the cpu helped some as well.

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

are you saying that there was no change from before and after? that is impossible unless you are running the demo...
    there is no way to even compare the cpus since you dont post their versions

5. IDLE

The cpus are intel Xeon e5-1603 and the new one is Xeon e5-1660. No change with old cpu and running direct to disk. But I didn’t restart after i changed it. I noted the difference after I installed the new cpu.

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

once again there are multiple versions of those processors...you need to specify
    were you running the DEMO? or did you enter a license key?

7. IDLE

I’ve been running the license version since November I’m assuming it was just the CPU I was using and that’s why upgraded to the other one because it was It was six cores instead of four

8. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

your assumption is wrong...there is no way that going from reencoding to direct to disk would result in no change - you may have had it enabled before...the difference is dramatic...without information on your processor there is no way to know

9. IDLE

What information do you need about the processes other than the model numbers

10. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

THE VERSION!!!!!!!

11. IDLE

I guess I just don’t understand. Because on the other form board I just list what each one is in everyone’s able to find the difference between them

12. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

I dont understand....I have posted several times that there are different versions of these processors .... v3 v4 etc...

13. IDLE

14. IDLE

I believe both of these are just version one I don’t have any other version twos

15. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

you cant guess...regardless, direct to disk has major implications on cpu and you likely had it active on the first cpu or you would not see it at 35% if you had a bunch of cams....

16. IDLE

Yeah I have a sense I’ve had blue Iris with the cameras I had set up I was always at 35%. Yesterday I went direct to disc on all the cameras that record and it stayed at 35% but I did not restart blue Iris. Last night I shut down blue Iris in the PC changed out the CPU and then now blue Iris is only running at 9% at best it’s normally around 7 to 8. So I was just wondering if it was because of the CPU or directed desk so when I’m going to do is disabled directed desk restart the PC and see what it’s at now

17. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Like i said, based on the information provided its impossible to know....it is VERY likely that you had direct to disk enabled before...otherwise your cpu would not sit at 35%....
    YOU DONT NEED TO RESTART BLUE IRIS TO SEE THE CHANGE....the information is lacking...there is no way to know...but for the last time - direct to disk would cause a dramatic lowering of the cpu....want to see? disable it on the new cpu and watch it climb.

18. IDLE

OK well I enabled directed disk yesterday and made sure it was saved and it was still at 35%

19. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

nope...impossible...try my test...

20. IDLE

I’m telling you I did. It stayed the same. It didn’t drop until I changed cpu. Which I guessed it would since the cpu is a lot better.

21. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Once again it is impossible.... Direct to disc will have a significant impact... It will never have a zero impact... So the information you are providing is inaccurate in some way... Furthermore because we cannot compare the CPUs because you don't know what version they are there is no way to come to an educated guess.... The new CPU would have to be four times more powerful then the one that replaced to reach those numbers.... Bottom line is you will never know ... Unless you are willing to swap them again and test properly

22. IDLE

Okay here is the new CPU specs Intel Xeon E5-1660 SR0KN 3.30GHz LGA2011
    Old CPU is
    Intel Xeon E5-1603 SR0L9 2.8GHz 1300MHz LGA2011

23. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

how many cams, what result ion and frame rates were you running? was the console open or closed when testing?

IDLE likes this.
  24. IDLE

Open always open never closed. Cams right now are 9 IP cams at 15FPS and 5FPS live view. 3 outdoor nest cams 20 FPS (cant change them). (havent swapped them out yet for IP cams)

25. IDLE

I know this is off topic but what should the CPU temp be for the Intel Xeon E5-1660 SR0KN 3.30GHz LGA2011? Ideal temp

26. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

...not sure how BI handles the nest streams with respect to cpu usage and direct to disk......there is a very easy test, but for some reason you are not doing it...TRY IT ON YOUR NEW CPU...disable direct to disk and test...it is very possible the nest stream can never be direct to disk unless it is passing a standard h.264 stream.

27. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

google

28. IDLE

Yeah I googled and its all over the place. I was just wondering if anyone had a idea. Ill ask the HP forums

29. IDLE

When I had all 15 nest cams it was always 35% to 50% CPU usage. Once I started taking nest down and replacing them with IP cams it went from 20% to 35% (mostly around the 35%)

30. cb8

cb8 Getting the hang of it

Based on the processor frequency the E5-1660 must be a v1 which is a 6 core CPU with a max turbo frequency of 3.90 GHz. You can check the "Performance" tab in "Task Manager" to see what frequency the CPU is running at. The E5-1603 is a 4 core limited to 2.8 GHz.

It's not surprising that the newer CPU would have a significant impact on the CPU usage, but I agree with fenderman, changing from re-encoding to direct-to-disk should in itself have a very noticeable impact.