Changed ISP, can't access cameras remotely

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
This one is a bit complicated, I apologize up front.

We recently got a new ISP. They tore up our roads and have installed fiber optic which is amazingly fast. Sadly since we have switched, I have been unable to remotely access my cameras from my phone or from a web browser. I checked all of my router settings and everything seemed fine. I called my ISP and they said that because it is fiber optic, we are sharing an IP address with our whole neighborhood. lol. anyway.

Only real option was to set up port translation or something of the sorts because buying a static IP was $1000+ with fiber optic in our neighborhood apparently.. They did the port translation or whatever they called it and now they say I am good to go.

I am going through remote access wizard in Blue Iris and everything seems find until the final step - my "Verified Server" does not say blue iris like it should. Instead it says "App-webs/". There is a red X in the bottom of the screen. I can't seem to figure this out. I've double checked the router settings with obvious mistakes... I would really love to have remote access again. Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This one is a bit complicated, I apologize up front.

We recently got a new ISP. They tore up our roads and have installed fiber optic which is amazingly fast. Sadly since we have switched, I have been unable to remotely access my cameras from my phone or from a web browser. I checked all of my router settings and everything seemed fine. I called my ISP and they said that because it is fiber optic, we are sharing an IP address with our whole neighborhood. lol. anyway.

Only real option was to set up port translation or something of the sorts because buying a static IP was $1000+ with fiber optic in our neighborhood apparently.. They did the port translation or whatever they called it and now they say I am good to go.

I am going through remote access wizard in Blue Iris and everything seems find until the final step - my "Verified Server" does not say blue iris like it should. Instead it says "App-webs/". There is a red X in the bottom of the screen. I can't seem to figure this out. I've double checked the router settings with obvious mistakes... I would really love to have remote access again. Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James
You dont need to use the wizard. Is your port forwarding setup correctly in the router? Post images if your routers port forwarding settings and blue iris webserver page. (redact ONLY the WAN/external ip address)

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman, I had I feeling I would be hearing from you again! Thanks for the speedy reply. I've attached a couple screenshots. My ISP assigned me port 50000.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 10.38.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-15 at 10.40.36 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is setup incorrectly. First only a single port should be forwarded. The local lan ip should be 192.168.1.200..the remote ip address should be "all ip addresses"
delete the rest.
Who is your isp?

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
I deleted all and added a single port with local lan 192.168.1.200 and 'all ip addresses', rebooted the router. Still no luck connecting from phone unless on wifi.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using the correct external IP?
Test the Port with canyouseeme.org

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
When testing port 50000 it says success, ISP is not blocking... I does not work with the standard port 80 however.

Using whatismyip.com the external IP address seems to line up fine also

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What I want to know is what kind of incompetent ISP can afford to install fiber optics to people's homes but not provide them each with their own IPv4 address?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. Great speed and great price. There are only two reasons I can think of for them forcing everyone to use the same public IP address. One, maybe they are just incompetent and don't know how to set it up correctly. Two, maybe they think this will prevent people from hosting high bandwidth websites and stuff.

Regardless, if they have forwarded port 50000 to you, then the way you should set up your end is:

In Blue Iris options, Web server tab, change the port number to 80.
In your router, create ONE rule. Local LAN Ports: 80, Local LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.200, Protocol: TCP, Remote Ports: 50000, Remote IP address: All

Then to access your Blue Iris remotely, you enter your public address from "whatismyip.com" followed by :50000, like this:

http://your_public_address:50000/

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd take their service gladly. It could be a decade or more before that kind of speed and price is available where I live. I would just rent a cheap virtual private server somewhere to act as a VPN server/router to tunnel all my incoming traffic through. Though I would have to learn a lot about networking on linux to accomplish that.

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
It really is great speed for a great price, just wish I had my own IP address.

I have done what you said, changed the settings in blue Iris and on my router but still unable to connect to through mobile device or through external IP xxx.xx.xx.xx:50000

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe your ISP mapped port 50000 to something else? Maybe they mapped it to port 80 so your port forwarding rule would need to be for remote port 80?

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
Your earlier test from canyouseeme.org showed that it was reaching something. What did it reach? What do you get if you put in http://your_public_address:50000/ on a mobile device (connected via cellular, not wifi)?
Hmm. Interesting. It connected to one of my HikVision cameras. I logged in using the default credentials. Very strange. I checked SADP tool to make sure all the IP addresses were what they should be. I don't know why it shows that camera. I have 5 HikVision cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest you make new screenshots of the same things you screenshotted before -- router's port forwarding page and Blue Iris web server panel.

Are all your IP cameras behind your router? Maybe one (or all) of them are on the public side of your router and your ISP forwarded port 50000 to one of your cameras instead of to your router. What are the IP addresses of your cameras, and what does your router think your public IP is (probably something in the 10.x.x.x range because that is private)??

All 3 of these address ranges are private and therefore completely safe to post to a public forum:

10.x.x.x
172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
192.168.x.x

Right now all I know is that your LAN subnet is 192.168.1.x. That SHOULD be the range your cameras are using. If not, it is a sign of a problem.

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
What are the IP addresses of your cameras, and what does your router think your public IP is (probably something in the 10.x.x.x range because that is private)??
All of my cameras are under variations of 192.168.1.2xx. I have done this so it does not get messy with my regular devices connecting to my wifi network.

I've attached new screenshots of my settings. when checking whatismyip.com it shows 199.xx.xx.xx regardless if i check on my laptop or iMac or my dedicated HP blue iris computer, all the same, which also lines up with what blue iris has set for my WAN.

When my ISP initially came in a couple weeks ago, it was a 10.x.x.x ip address when I would check on whatismyip.com and it would not line up with blue iris. Since they have setup the 'port translation' or whatever they called it, I now have a 199.xx.xx.xx which matched what blue iris says.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.36.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.43.49 PM.png

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
BTW thanks for sticking with me, I know this probably isn't your #1 choice of what to do in your free time. I would be more than happy to send some money via PayPal to compensate you for your time if we can get this working.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW thanks for sticking with me, I know this probably isn't your #1 choice of what to do in your free time. I would be more than happy to send some money via PayPal to compensate you for your time if we can get this working.
you need to set the local lan port to 50000 as well.

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman I had that initially but changed it to 80 as instructed by bp2008, neither have worked for me thus far

- - - Updated - - -

just called ISP and they indeed assigned me port 50000

Last edited by a moderator: