Changed Router and Cams Don't Display Now

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had five camera's controlled by Blue Iris three Dahua, a doorbell camera, and HYKAMIC inside camera.

I wanted to upgrade my internet speed and in order to do that my local ISP required I use their router... I had been using my own. Anyway the tech came out and he hooked up their router and now none of my cameras are displaying a picture now within BI.

In the past if a camera failed to display in BI I would just use the IPCSearch tool to find it's IP Address and then enter it for the camera inside BI and it would work but not this time. The search tool is finding all three Dahua cams and their IP Addresses but using any of those addresses within BI doesn't work and that IP web page fails to load. Also the IPCSearch tool would always find all three Dahua cameras and my Doorbell Camera (GFB) but it's not finding the later now. It never did find the HYKAMIC camera but the SADP Tool always finds it's IP Address so no big deal.

I don't remember what I need to do can someone help (using BI 5.2.0.4 x64)?

Mike

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What was the IP address of your BI machine with the old router? What is the IP address of the BI machine with the new router? I'm betting a different subnet which is why you can't see any cameras.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry my memory doesn't work as well as it used to where can I find that IP address?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry my memory doesn't work as well as it used to where can I find that IP address?
Open BI and click on settings, then goto the "web server" tab. The LAN IP of your BI machine will be in there. You need to have your cameras match the same subnet.

IE: if your BI machine is 192.168.0.5, your cameras should be 192.168.0.X, where X is any # between 1-254 as long as there are no other devices that have the same IP. You should probably not use "1" or "254", normally they could be your gateway or other network devices.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well that’s strange because it’s showing 192.168.1.5 LAN IP of BI machine and my cams are all 192.168.0.xxx why did this change? I know with my old router the LAN IP of BI machine was 192.168.0.xx.

So how do I get the LAN IP of BI machine to show 192.168.0.xx I’m not that sharp with network settings.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well that’s strange because it’s showing 192.168.1.5 LAN IP of BI machine and my cams are all 192.168.0.xxx why did this change? I know with my old router the LAN IP of BI machine was 192.168.0.xx.

So how do I get the LAN IP of BI machine to show 192.168.0.xx I’m not that sharp with network settings.
Probably when the new router was installed it had a different DHCP subnet and thus assigned it to the BI computer. It would probably be easier to update the IP's of the cameras to 192.168.1.xxx (and update them in BI as well) instead of trying to change the DHCP subnet in the router if you are not familiar with logging into the router.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well when the tech installed the new router it wasn’t connecting to the internet and he was about out of ideas when I said let’s let Windows troubleshoot and try to fix it. I remember it said the DHCP was disabled so we let it enable it so guess must of changed it.

I actually am used to going into my router settings but this new internet plan I signed up for is a ‘Managed WiFi’ so I don’t think they’d even let me mess with it.

Guess I could call their support tech in the morning and see if he could change it in the settings... sure would save me from changing the cams IP and then updating in BI.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the cameras and PC connected to the same switch? Are you using Windoohs 10?

If so, open control panel. Click on "Network and Internet". Click "View network status and tasks". In the left column click "Change adapter settings"/ Right click on the adapter that actually connects the machine to the netowork and click "Properties". In the window that opens click "Internet Prtocol Version 4(IPv4). then click "Properties". In the pane that opens click "Advanced" on the lower right. In the next pane add the address 192.168.0.xxx with a mask of 255.255.0.0. Click OK all the way back out.

You can then access your cameras via their web interface and move them onto the new network scheme using either DHCP from the new router or assigning IP addresses manually in the 192.168.1.xx range as long as you know what addresses are open, At your own option, you can go back and repeat all the steps to remove the 192.168.1.xx address from your network configuration.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well the cameras are connected to the Poe switch and the PC is connected to the router... yes I’m running Windows 10.

So if I follow your directions to change the network settings on my PC then everything should be back to normal where my cameras see’s the network correct? BI will then pickup the change with the IP address?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well the cameras are connected to the Poe switch and the PC is connected to the router... yes I’m running Windows 10.

So if I follow your directions to change the network settings on my PC then everything should be back to normal where my cameras see’s the network correct? BI will then pickup the change with the IP address?
If you're familiar with logging in to your router, try the new one. Open 192.168.1.1 in a web browser and try to logon. If you don't know the credentials, look on the back or bottom of the router, sometimes the default logon is listed. If not, call your ISP and ask what the credentials are or ask them to change the DHCP subnet in your router to match that of your existing cameras (192.168.0.xxx). Then you can reboot your BI machine and it should come up with the correct IP address.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Your new router has a different IP address scheme than your old one. Your cameras cannot see that scheme. You either have to change the cameras to the new scheme as I gave you the steps to do, or change the new router to the old network scheme. There is no magic way to get the cameras to work/see the new scheme.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys I’m pretty much up and running I had my ISP change it so now my cameras are back!

Still one issue though the BI app on my Android phone and iPad is not connecting to the server yet. I compared the LAN and WAN in the mobile app to the BI Web Server settings and they are the same. Got to be something simple right?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using a VPN ? Or port forwarding in the router ?
Also you WAN address may have changed, if you are not using a DDNS service ?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is where it starts getting confusing to me when we start talking about VPN’s, port forwarding, and DDNS services. That said I do remember setting up port forwarding in my old router and I have a free account with no-ip.com.

So are you saying they need to be set back up in the new router in order for the mobile apps to work? Since this is their router and what they call managed WiFi does that mean I’m going to have to get them to setup port forwarding and my no-ip for me?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have not used no-ip, so i do not know where that program runs to keep track of the WAN ip address.

In the app there should be a port specified, that matches the port defined in the BI application, bi setting webserver tab, may be a number like 81 or 8081 ....

In the router that port is forward to the same port on the BI PC.

I am not an expert on port forwarding as I run OpenVPN on my asus router.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sebastiantombs or OICU2 are you guys still around... I'm really needing my mobile apps to see my cameras, My wife is in a nursing home and the cameras allow her to keep connected to what goes on at home... so kind of important.

From what I can tell from reading it's because the new router does not have port forward set up and I'm pretty sure my ISP is not going to allow me access to the router's (Calix) settings. What specifically figures/numbers do I need to tell them when setting up port forwarding?

I also use the free no-ip what do I tell the ISP in setting it up?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got me there. I use my own modem and router. The router has OpenVPN built in so it's no problem. I can tell you that BI uses port 81 for it's web server if that helps.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I've always had my own router too until now. When I first signed up with our local ISP (live in rural area) I had the choice of using their router or mine and I kept mine. Now to upgrade to the next speed package they require you to use their router and let them maintain it. With my router I was able to muddle through and figure out how to set up port forwarding but I had the router interface up on my PC not like now.

I'm not even sure if they're going to allow port forwarding but I need to find out now in case I need to be complaining about the situation.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with no-ip but what type of 'router' did they give you? Is it a combo cable modem/router/wifi unit? What brand/model?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well no-ip is a DDNS service recommended to me on this forum a few years ago by Fenderman.

I can't seem to get the base off the router since I'm sure it's blocking all the info so all I know is it's a Calix but don't know the model.