Changed Server from WiFi to Ethernet, now no remote access

Olmsteez

n3wb
Reaction score
Huge fan of BI! It's been working really well for more than a year. I was able to wire the room where the server has been sitting with ethernet recently. Since then, remote access stopped working.

I changed the port forwarding settings to the new IP address that was assigned to the ethernet connection from the Verizon FiOS router. But, I still can't gain access to the machine from the outside. I can connect to the server on the LAN fine. If I put the server in the router's DMZ, I can connect! I'm starting to think I need to set the router back to defaults. I did delete the port forwarding rule and the protocol and recreated them without any luck.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly, the firewall rule allowing access to BI is not applying to the wired network connection. Try temporarily disabling Windows Firewall to see if that is the case.

Olmsteez

n3wb
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I had the firewall disabled on the server. And again, I'm able to see the server via WAN if I put it in the routers DMZ. That screams router issue, no?

Last edited:

Olmsteez

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I got it working. But, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I turned UPNP on and had the remote access wizard connect setup the port forwarding. It now works. Odd thing though. The UPNP rule looks different than the one I created manually. See how it tacks the port onto the IP address? The manual setup screen doesn't allow for a port, only an IP. Of course, you add the incoming port in a different spot and it shows up next to TCP.

upload_2016-11-11_12-5-37.png

Attachments