Changing LAN IP Address on Router

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After having issues connecting to my network via VPN, it seems the way to resolve the issue is to change the LAN IP Address of my router to something not common.

I've tried this and my managed switch and all cameras disconnected completely from the BI PC so I just switched it back quickly and dealt with it.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this after having everything established on their system and what kinda hang ups they ran into. I'm new to a lot of the networking stuff here but I'm pretty quick with finding answers here or on google or youtube. Just wondering if anyone could tell me if I would need to change the default IP on the switch prior to doing this or would I would access it after I change the LAN.

Secondly would I have to reconnect each and every camera thru the cameras web browser first and then reconfigure the settings in BI? I know the cameras will go down but if anyone could give suggestions on what it would take to minimize their downtime I'd appreciate that too. I know @nayr and @fenderman are the network gurus here on the forum, if either of them have any input, that would be great but if anyone else has any advice or experience that would be awesome too.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have everything setup for DHCP its not too much of a PITA.. this is why I rarely assign something a static IP.. I just redid my networks and it was pretty easy as when I plugged a device from the switch and plugged it back in it requested a new dhcp lease and moved right on over.

so, I'd suggest setting everything to dhcp.. then bring up your main gear, and then one by one bring up new gear and give them static maps in the dhcp server.

the only advantage to static ip address is it recovers after a power outage if your router does not for some reason or another.. but thats a rough edgecase and many devices will just reuse there last lease until the dhcp server comes back.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The steps to basically follow in changing your IP schema would be something like this:

1) Decide what IP schema you want to go to (e.g. 192.168.157.x)

2) Determine which of your devices are static vs. dynamic (dhcp) addressing

3) Decide on your DHCP scope, only give out a range of addresses that you are NOT going to have static addresses in (e.g. DHCP range 192.168.157.50 to 192.168.157.250, use 192.168.157.1 to 192.168.157.49 for static assignments)

4) Change static IP devices to the new numbering system, making sure to assign them outside of the DHCP range

5) Change your router to the new numbering system, which will probably also change the DHCP server to the new numbering system, if it doesn't change the DHCP server as well

6) Reboot or reacquire DHCP address on all devices as needed until they are on the new numbering system

7) I don't use BI but I would expect you would need to setup the cameras again since their IP addresses have changed BI would treat them as different cameras

Don't forget other devices on your network like printers or media players.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Little trial and error but im back with only about 15 minutes downtime.

Prob would have been less had i not enjoyed the multiple bottles of wine with dinner. But hey, im back up and running.

Thanks again for the input!