Changing router - new cable company

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm changing cable companies, and I'm going to wind up with a new cable router. My current router has a gateway ip address of the 192.168.1.x variety, and I have no idea if the new one will be the same. I'm running BI with 4 Dahua cameras with fixed IP addresses and no VPN. Is there anything I need to do before my new router is disconnected, or can I make all the necessary changes after the new one is installed?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Who is your cable company ?
Write down all your static IP addresses and what device then are connectd to.

You should be able to change the new routes gate address on the router to match your network.

If you are accessing the BI computer from outside your home network to view alerts and video i strongly recommend a OpenVPN.

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

anon71

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. Current cable company is Frontier, and the new one is Comcast. That's good news that I can change the gateway address - keeping 192 would save me some hassle. I don't access BI from outside the network.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have the option to use your own router rather than the combo modem/router supplied by your ISP, you can avoid issues like switching providers (amongst a whole bunch of other scenarios) and have your internal network under you control not theirs.

Did the same thing for my mother in law, every time the cable company came out to troubleshoot an internet issue, they would also reset the modem which also was her router/access point and then leave. I would have to go in afterward and get all her Wi-Fi devices working again. Major P.I.T.A.

Since setting her up with her own Wi-Fi router, no issues. She’s even switches providers and still no issue :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk