"Chasing perfection", is it worth it?

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I have learned a ton so far and glad I came here before spending a penny. Thing is, I still haven't bought anything (far too cold to screw around outside anyway), and I keep getting myself farther and farther into threads like Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup. While I am grateful these exist...I think a lot of people treat this as more of an ongoing hobby that I was desiring.

I'm getting to the point that I am pretty sure the differences in my world won't be so great that I need to research each model and minuscule difference. I am leaning towards a test camera or three (suggested here to do the 2x4 in a bucket so I can test placement) and just see what does and doesn't work in my situation. For instance, the back of my house may have totally different NV results than the front. I'll drop BI on my home desktop while I am testing, so I can be testing sooner. I'm pretty positive all I really have to do is look at some of the more recommended cameras and I will likely find what works for me.

What do you think? Is this a major or minor hobby to you? Do you really chase "the best"? I'm think I will enjoy my time spent more when it's warm enough to play with placement and such. Getting tangible results as opposed to just reading.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
It is a hobby and fun to try to find the best bang for the buck for a lot of us. And that's good for anyone visiting here, because they receive the benefit of the extensive testing of gear and knowledge of everything involved that is provided by the enthusiasts who enjoy figuring it all out.

And since being able to positively identify perpetrators of crimes, etc., can hinge on having things set up the best possible ways, using the best possible gear, it can be important to do as well as you can right from the beginning.

But I hear ya!

I started off thinking that setting up a security camera system would be cheap, and take, perhaps, part of a weekend. Boy, was I wrong!

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Chasing perfection is always worth it!

I am frustrated by the Ring pics on Next Door where people post some poor image that cannot serve to ID. Glad to find the knowledge and advise here and will admit, it has become a hobby!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For most, a hobby...for a few, an obsession !

If you've ever dropped in on forums for gunsmiths, RC modelers, classic car restorers or Diesel engine aficionados you see pretty much this: some of them are weekend warriors and just dabble enough to catch the bug and some live, breathe and eat (and likely dream) the main subject matter.

Then you have loyalist groups like in the Diesel engine forums: the Powerstroke, the Duramax and the Cummins folk. God save you if you pose a question bout a gas engine, no matter if it's a Ford, Chevy or Dodge....the Diesel purists will roast you alive! Death to the Infidel! :rolleyes:

Some wade into the water just enough to resolve their own issue, some stick around long enough to learn, grow and help others. And like any group of folks, especially men, a few take it too seriously or get too worked up and well...they fall by the wayside. Good riddance.

"There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves.
You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he is willing to climb himself. "
- Andrew Carnegie

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
Very true. For me, I have four motorcycles, a built Jeep, guns, and some RC stuff. Trying to find time for all gets tough. Right now, too cold to ride gives me time to plan my cameras.

I'm loving that I now have a new house, so I can obsess over fun rather than maintenance.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The point of security cameras is to be your eyes so you can mostly forget about it once everything is in place. Security guards watch cameras. Homeowners normally go about their lives after the novelty wears off. But install quality and install it well. That'll save you having to futz with it and it may just help you if you most need it, be it all those big boy toys get vandalized or walk away. Set it and forget it until you need to check it. Nothing wrong with that.

uniquename

n3wb
Reaction score
I do also see from posts there are professionals here. Totally different story there.