Cheap/budget NVR setup

petronel

n3wb
Reaction score
I need a cheap NVR setup for a remote location. Two bullet outdoor IP camera and one dome indoor.
Budget under $400 if possible.
I want to be able to connect from remote and see the live feed or recordings.

Any advice on NVR box and cameras ?

Thank you,
Petronel

petronel

n3wb
Reaction score
Why bullets? Consider Turrets, they will provide better/more even IR coverage and will not attract bugs as much as traditional bullets with the IR halo ring.
At least one of the outdoor camera need to be mounted on a pole about 1.5-2: in diameter. Can I do that with the turrets ?
Sorry if this are stupid questions , but I'm just new to this.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
From an HIK product line on that budget I would consider turrets for outside or the larger bullet cameras with matrix IR if you want brighter extended IR coverage.
Turret: DS-2CD3345
Bullet with Matrix IR: DS-2CD2t42WD

Inside, I would go with a mini dome, something like DS-2CD2542FWD

NVR: DS-7604NI/4P

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@zero-degrees : are DS-2CD2342WD-I and DS-2CD3345 same camera ? western vs china ?
Yes, I was referencing china hardware with multi language firmware because of your tight budget. Even private label HIK equipment and Dahua's entry line of plastic housed cameras you will be very very hard pressed to get an NVR, 3 cameras, and HD for $400 max. Only way to pull this off is to get china modified/hacked hardware.

petronel

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand that and it is fine.
On aliexpress i see 2 versions of DS-7604NI: E1 and K1, but not sure about differences.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I would advise getting an English/International NVR though, it will only cost slightly more. Since this will be your point of connection you will want the ability to update it and maintain it with current firmware should a security patch come out. I recently had a project where I purchased an international NVR for that reason and 8 china/multilanguage turrets with no problem at all.

Since your cameras are terminating into the NVR you can shut off all their external connection functions and not worry about running augmented firmware, but I personally would not be comfortable running augmented firmware that can't be updated on the main connection to the world and even at that I would consider some advanced security measures on the network as fare as possible hardware VPNs or firewalls just as added security.

Last edited:

petronel

n3wb
Reaction score
E1 should be ok for me. I see 3 versions on a local shop:
- DS-7604NI-E1
- DS-7604NI-E1/A
- DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A

From what i can see, A is for alarm and 4P is for PoE ports.

Any recommended shop on Aliexpress ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If your wanting to connect everything to the NVR you'll need the 4P as that does show 4POE camera ports.

If your going to connect everything to a standalone poe switch you can get the e1 or e1/a but to eliminate hardware that can fail while you are away I would go with the 4p.

As it pertains to AE I have only used one store for HIK hardware and I just used them for the first time the other day. I have no complaints, super fast, great communication. I posted about them here, but not sure if they would work for Romania and like I said I've only used them once personally.
XinRay AE Store Review - HIK and Dahua

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the dahua bullets actually have BETTER and just as even IR since they not only use the same lamps at the turrets but they have 4 instead of 2. For $500 you can get two turrets, or bullets, but that leaves you less than $200 for the NVR, I dunno if you can get a cheap NVR for around $160, but maybe.

petronel

n3wb
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the dahua bullets actually have BETTER and just as even IR since they not only use the same lamps at the turrets but they have 4 instead of 2. For $500 you can get two turrets, or bullets, but that leaves you less than $200 for the NVR, I dunno if you can get a cheap NVR for around $160, but maybe.
I'm new to this and not sure about the Dahua vs Hikvision pro/cons.
Can you post me some links to recommended Dahua cameras and NVR ? Aliexpress or ebay should be fine.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm new to this and not sure about the Dahua vs Hikvision pro/cons.
Can you post me some links to recommended Dahua cameras and NVR ? Aliexpress or ebay should be fine.
DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

he shows zero, but if you message him on here I think he has some. I don't know much about the NVR's I don't use them I use Blue Iris but someone else could chime in i'm sure. I've not see any comparable hikvision cameras yet or at least no reviews of any, I heard they have some cams with a similar sensor though.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
SD cards are just another fail safe backup that can record events, so in the event something happens and the NVR is stolen you may have footage also on the SD card.