Cheap Chinese IP Cameras

Reaction score
As there didn't seem to be a place to post this I thought I'd start a new one. Hopefully I'm not alone in my predicament.

I have 2 cheap Chinese IP Cameras and they are both working from my local network fine and have been doing so for a few years now. They came with a buggy Chinese Server & App that works when it feels like it. They have the ability to record on movement.

Now I'm going away for 6 weeks, I wanted to be able to see my cameras using an Android App.

I have a Ubuntu 16.04 Server PC that I can leave running. I've considered setting up OpenVPN but have no idea how to achieve this. Then I find out that I still need to have a VPN Server setup to be able to use OpenVPN at all?

Can anyone shed any light on this situation or maybe a better way to achieve what I'm after without additional costs as I'm on a disability pension with no other income.

Here's the specs on my cameras if it is helpful. I have a static WAN IP Address with my internet provider.

Backyard Camera

IP Address = 192.168.1.20
HTTP Port = 82
TCP Port = 10002
RTSP Port = 554
DNS = 8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4 (Google)
Mac Address = 00-12-12-6B-FE-AC
Cloud ID = 45a80b04dd37e9da
Device ID = 45a80b04dd37e9da
URL = http://192.168.1.20:8899/onvif/device_service

Pergola Camera

IP Address = 192.168.1.40
HTTP Port = 84
TCP Port = 10004
RTSP Port = 554
DNS = 8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4 (Google)
Mac Address = 00-12-12-49-CC-72
Cloud ID = 00121249cc72
Device ID = 00121249cc72
URL = http://192.168.1.40:8899/onvif/device_service

This Information was taken from ONVIF Manager Software Version:- 2.2.250 today.

Cheers

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Tony, thanks, I'm reading through that as well to see if I can work all this stuff out...
I found that page before I posted my questions here...

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If a VPN is over your head then you could just do some port mapping in your router. Make sure you have strong passwords on your cameras.

Let me know what router you're running if you need help with the port mapping.

-Jamie M.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If a VPN is over your head then you could just do some port mapping in your router. Make sure you have strong passwords on your cameras.

Let me know what router you're running if you need help with the port mapping.

-Jamie M.
Never ever forward ports,that’s a bad idea, specially with cameras. Just read the info about VPN. There’s no reason not you run VPN besides,laziness.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you have strong passwords on your cameras.
With backdoors and similar vulnerabilities that won't add much protection as brute-force attempts don't really feature.
The extensively-exploited Hikvision backdoor requires no password at all.
Interesting recent example : IPVM - -Hacked Hikvision IP Camera Map

then you could just do some port mapping in your router.
Not good advice - you have no idea what valuable or sensitive data or devices are on the OP's LAN that would be put at risk as a consequence.

Reaction score
Never ever forward ports,that’s a bad idea, specially with cameras. Just read the info about VPN. There’s no reason not you run VPN besides,laziness.
Hi Camit, I like your thinking.. I have been reading the info about VPN but it's not laziness that is the problem, it's understanding what it wants me to do, then working out how to achieve it in Ubuntu 16.04. I have just installed Webmin & zoneminder but for some reason this time I can't work out how to add my 2 IP Camears to zoneminder? I got them both working in Zoneminder a year ago on an older PC. Since a newer PC arrived and a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, now I can't even get the cameras to work, let alone a VPN.
Cheers

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think, for some people, VPN is too hard for them to understand or even configure (even after reading VPN primer 10 times). I don't think it's necessarily laziness. You have to remember that you @Camit and others like you have technical skills that some people don't have.

For example, I don't expect my mom to even know how to turn off/on a router, let alone configure VPN.

towster

n3wb
Reaction score
You could setup your router to allow only SSH to your Ubuntu box. You could then SSH to your ubuntu box and configure an SSH tunnel to each camera. I have never done this with android but it would work with a computer.