Cheap Graphics card

patriot20001

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all
i cant get to grips with this memory leak and getting the correct drivers etc. So was thinking instead of the onboard graphics I could buy a cheap card instead.

I have a gigabyte Z270-HD3P
Could anyone recommend a cheap card?

Much appreciate any help given

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheap video cards are hard to come by. The card you want will be an NVidia. I'm only familiar with the GTX10xx and up series and right now they are quite pricey, well into the hundreds for a starting price and going over $1000 for the higher end RTX series.

patriot20001

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheap video cards are hard to come by. The card you want will be an NVidia. I'm only familiar with the GTX10xx and up series and right now they are quite pricey, well into the hundreds for a starting price and going over $1000 for the higher end RTX series.
thank you for that mate.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You might be able to pick up a used one on EBay or one of the lower end ones for less, but even "less" will probably be well over $100-$200.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry about the GPU prices guys... I couldn't help myself... I've mined $300k worth of Ethereum with these over the last 4 years... even paid for my 2019 Silverado LD by running these bad boys for 90 days in my garage.... had to vent the bottom of my garage door to expel all that heat tho. lol...

20190521_202712.jpg20190521_202542.jpg20190922_175014.jpg20201230_173303.jpg20210202_172829.jpg
Dr.Evil.jpg

Last edited:

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you want a good cheap Nvidia GPU for a few cams or to run images through AI, I would recommend the Nvidia Quadro P400 or the "NEW" Nvidia Quadro T400 which has only reached a select few retailers since it was just released cpl months ago. These GPU's are not used to mine crypto currency or good for gaming so they are relatively still reasonably priced.

Nvidia Quadro P400 / Nvidia Quadro P600 / Nvidia Quadro P1000
Nvidia Quadro T400 / Nvidia Quadro T600 / Nvidia Quadro T1000

Last edited:

JJStats

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all
i cant get to grips with this memory leak and getting the correct drivers etc. So was thinking instead of the onboard graphics I could buy a cheap card instead.

I have a gigabyte Z270-HD3P
Could anyone recommend a cheap card?

Much appreciate any help given

Will that work. Choose the right profile. this one is low profile.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Reports say crypto is coming to an end and so graphics cards are falling. Large scale mining operations in China are reportedly closing down due to the recent insatbility and fall in crypto prices. Many new Nvidia cards are crippled for mining at hardware level.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ethereum is pushing an update (1559) this month that will burn 70% of the transaction fees paid to miners making Ethereum deflationary which in theory will increase the USD value of ETH. This will lower mining rewards in the short term and could possibly make a small amount of miners capitulate. China banned mining but those miners are moving to other countries or selling their hardware to other miners in bulk. Nvidia crippling the driver for mining was laughable. That literally took about two weeks for someone to hack and create a work around for.

It doesn't matter to me either way. I like it when miners capitulate, I'm looking forward to buying cards at 50% MSRP again but I don't think that's going to happen any time this year or Q1 of next year.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Will that work. Choose the right profile. this one is low profile.
That's a AMD card. It wont work with Blue Iris or DeepStack AI. Has to be a Nvidia card compatible with Cuda 10.1 or higher. For $9 I'm guessing it wont work with much. It probably costs $9 to ship that on top of ebay's 10% so they are essentially paying you to take it.

Last edited:

patriot20001

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you want a good cheap Nvidia GPU for a few cams or to run images through AI, I would recommend the Nvidia Quadro P400 or the "NEW" Nvidia Quadro T400 which has only reached a select few retailers since it was just released cpl months ago. These GPU's are not used to mine crypto currency or good for gaming so they are relatively still reasonably priced.

Nvidia Quadro P400 / Nvidia Quadro P600 / Nvidia Quadro P1000
Nvidia Quadro T400 / Nvidia Quadro T600 / Nvidia Quadro T1000
I guess I need to understand (please share your opinion) on either - This card (£150/ $210 ish) or more Mem have 16gb or or or fresh install of Windows which seems a bit of hassle. Not usre if adding 16gb ram would work as it might just go to 90% of 32 like it does 16.
Anyway, why does this memory leak happen and why should you have to do these things? is BI or Intel causing me grief? I really dont get it

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here do not have a graphics card installed and do not have a problem.

You could still have the problem if there is an issue with a Windows file or driver or with BI itself that is not releasing memory and now you spent money on a graphics card that doesn't fix it.

I would continue trying to find the problem first.

What version of BI are you running? Is this a recent issue after a BI update?

Are you running Hardware Acceleration in BI - turn it off on the global setting and in each camera - you may have one camera that is causing all the issues.

Have you ran the DISM and SFC commands to see if it finds any issues?

A clean windows install and clean BI install will probably correct it.

You could try the option to reinstall windows and keep your files and programs intact - some people that has taken care of it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Nvidia quadro is a strong graphics card. At a fair price point. I'd still buy it used from Ebay. I wonder if anybody runs them in BI machines? will they support the Nvidia NVDEC? They used to be in my Dell Precision Laptops.
Anybody using AMD's?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
looks like the wiki on Quadro has a graph of supporting technologies. like h264 h 265 NVDEC etc..looks like the p400 supports NVDEC and h264, and h265

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just installed a Quadro P400 in my AMD 3950X BI sever and are using it to decode 4 out of my 12 4mp cams the other 8 cams are being decoded with a GeForce GTX 1050 TI. I was able to have the Quadro P400 decode up to 6 4MP cams and the GeForce GTX 1050 TI decode up to 9 4MP cams any more BI would revert back to software decode. From what I can tell the limiting factor is how much memory the card has. As I add more cams to decode with the card the memory usage goes up and just before almost 90% memory usage BI reverts back to software decode. With all my cams being decoded with the video card this leaves all of the CPU power for DeepStack. If I run a DeepStack test and tune the CPU usage goes up to about 65% and normal usage is about 4%.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like the wiki on Quadro has a graph of supporting technologies. like h264 h 265 NVDEC etc..looks like the p400 supports NVDEC and h264, and h265
The one I bought was new from Amazon for $126.99 so if it did not workout I could easily return it.

1625705538580.png

patriot20001

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of us here do not have a graphics card installed and do not have a problem.

You could still have the problem if there is an issue with a Windows file or driver or with BI itself that is not releasing memory and now you spent money on a graphics card that doesn't fix it.

I would continue trying to find the problem first.

What version of BI are you running? Is this a recent issue after a BI update?

Are you running Hardware Acceleration in BI - turn it off on the global setting and in each camera - you may have one camera that is causing all the issues.

Have you ran the DISM and SFC commands to see if it finds any issues?

A clean windows install and clean BI install will probably correct it.

You could try the option to reinstall windows and keep your files and programs intact - some people that has taken care of it.
Thank you for taking the time there. I will follow your steps.