Cheap IP Cameras

Reaction score
I need 22 dome cameras in my clothing retail store that will be placed approx 11 feet from the floor and will be sent down (1) 6foot isle (including clothing) for about 40 to 45 feet.

Also, I need 5 cameras bullets or domes that will be placed above the cashiers that will focus on the money.

Thanks,
Rick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need 22 dome cameras in my clothing retail store that will be placed approx 11 feet from the floor and will be sent down (1) 6foot isle (including clothing) for about 40 to 45 feet.

Also, I need 5 cameras bullets or domes that will be placed above the cashiers that will focus on the money.

Thanks,
Rick
If you are installing these for someone else dont buy the china region cameras. Above the register you will be much better off with varifcal cameras so you can precisely adjust them...

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have seen the ones I suggested in many retail outlets and look fantastic, if you want cheap and reliable go with my suggestions. If you want for outside and night time is real important then go with vari focal.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen the ones I suggested in many retail outlets and look fantastic, if you want cheap and reliable go with my suggestions. If you want for outside and night time is real important then go with vari focal.
If someone installed these china cams in retail outlets or a home without disclosing to the end user that they cannot be firmware upgraded and have an inferior build, then they have committed fraud. US region cameras are cheap enough to make it not worthwhile. Particularly if ordering 22 where you can get a discount. For the cash registers varifocal is important to maximize the capture. When you recommend these china region cameras it important to note their deficiencies, including firmware that is not up-gradable, plastic vs metal bases, and the fact that they may have issues with NVR's and region compatibility now or in the future as a result of an NVR firmware update.

Reaction score
Thanks, Fenderman but this is for my store, and I would like to know the name brand and place to buy them. Since I am not an installer, maybe someone could direct me to a place to buy them for a reasonable price that would sell to the end user where I would still have a warranty an upgrades. So, know that I know Varifocal for cash registers, how about, a make and model for the other 22 cameras. Jack B Nimble maybe was too quick (LOL...) to offer the DS-2CD2335-I from China, but what about the United States model? I am running out of time. Do I just go with a Hikivision TV Hd Cameras and run Coax. Or is IP the only way to go. Jack B Nimble, why are you not running Blue Iris anymore?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will see a ton of differing opinions here on pretty much everything. As far as upgrades for firmware to cameras I never upgrade them. As long as the NVR is upgradable you are fine. As far as not advising about upgradability to a retail I have never seen any mention of that either way in any of the contracts I have read for my retails. Cameras work for 4-5 years and then changes to the latest and greatest. I use NVR because I don't want to spend my time on dozens of upgrades a year that may or may not be good for all users. I upgrade my NVR if something wrong that's it and very very simple.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will see a ton of differing opinions here on pretty much everything. As far as upgrades for firmware to cameras I never upgrade them. As long as the NVR is upgradable you are fine. As far as not advising about upgradability to a retail I have never seen any mention of that either way in any of the contracts I have read for my retails. Cameras work for 4-5 years and then changes to the latest and greatest. I use NVR because I don't want to spend my time on dozens of upgrades a year that may or may not be good for all users. I upgrade my NVR if something wrong that's it and very very simple.
The contract does not have to state this...its called an omission and violates state law in likely every state. As far as the NVR, there may come a time where hikvision will be able to block these china cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Or is IP the only way to go. Jack B Nimble, why are you not running Blue Iris anymore?
Use IP...its 2017..there are many advantages and threads discussing them.
Blue iris offers MUCH more felxibility and ease of use. Particularly in the mobile app, alerts and video review in general. Note that jack never used BI4 only bi3 and did not use it with the mobile app or properly set it up. The hikvision NVR is VERY basic and will likely frustrate you. There are other VMS options if you are willing to pay. I have over 20 blue iris systems running and would never use or recommend any NVR..but if you are set on an NVR go with dahua.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not to mention retailers having to comply with PCI-DSS

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am in Canada and an omission is nothing. Makes no sense as everything not written is an omission then is it not. Lol on US law no wonder so many suits and long contracts.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If someone installed these china cams in retail outlets or a home without disclosing to the end user that they cannot be firmware upgraded and have an inferior build, then they have committed fraud. US region cameras are cheap enough to make it not worthwhile. Particularly if ordering 22 where you can get a discount. For the cash registers varifocal is important to maximize the capture. When you recommend these china region cameras it important to note their deficiencies, including firmware that is not up-gradable, plastic vs metal bases, and the fact that they may have issues with NVR's and region compatibility now or in the future as a result of an NVR firmware update.
I am not US citizen but I always like to now a bit of other countries laws, what is the law violation you are talking about ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it would be considered a counterfeit product if your relabeling them and selling them as something they are not.

It'd be like me buying a Volkswagen, replacing the badges and selling as an Audi for more money without disclosing that I just replaced the badges.. its okay for VW to do it, its fraud if I do it.

Bait and Switch is also fraudulent and that could apply..

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in Canada and an omission is nothing. Makes no sense as everything not written is an omission then is it not. Lol on US law no wonder so many suits and long contracts.
You really have no clue...I suggest you look u take another look at Canadian law. An omission of a material fact is actionable. Setting aside the fact that is is morally wrong. In most states if not all, not only would I be able to recover 2-3 times my damages, I would be able to recover attorney fees. This is a GOOD thing. It prevents scammers who misrepresent the product they sell from getting away with it..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not US citizen but I always like to now a bit of other countries laws, what is the law violation you are talking about ?
It violates consumer protection laws. As stated earlier, as a consumer I can recover treble damages (triple my loss) and attorney fee.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry I don't understand, "If someone installed these china cams in retail outlets or a home without disclosing to the end user that they cannot be firmware upgraded and have an inferior build, then they have committed fraud."

Do you mean it is forbidden to sell a camera in US that cannot be firmware upgraded ? and what is "'inferior build" ? inferior compared to what ?

Or may be it has something to do with the HIK camera on AliExpress link provided by @Jack B Nimble that could be a counterfeit HikVision ?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't understand, "If someone installed these china cams in retail outlets or a home without disclosing to the end user that they cannot be firmware upgraded and have an inferior build, then they have committed fraud."

Do you mean it is forbidden to sell a camera in US that cannot be firmware upgraded ? and what is "'inferior build" ? inferior compared to what ?

Or may be it has something to do with the HIK camera on AliExpress link provided by @Jack B Nimble that could be a counterfeit HikVision ?
Its not a criminal offense. Its a civil matter that can bankrupt a small installer and rightfully so. Its unethical and disgusting as well to cheat your customers this way.
The china region turrets for example have cheap plastic bases=inferior build. I really dont understand the issue, if you are an installer deceiving your customers this way you should be out of business.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My Blue Iris I bought through Foscam US came with life time upgrades and support I need to sue now that after V3 I am refused support and upgrade... awesome.
You can however, you will end up with a paper judgement as foscam digital technologies is no longer operating. You would be entitled to 30-90 dollars (cost of upgrade was 30, I know, too much for you) and attorney fees if you hired one.
Foscam lied to you. Double check the add to make sure it said UPGRADES rather than UPDATES. Big difference. Foscam is not affiliated with perspective software. They rebranded it under their own name.They provided their OWN support. Foscam digital technologies also stopped supporting foscam cameras after they closed up shop and reopend as Amcrest.
You can not blame a software developer because you foolishly purchased an item from an disreputable company...that was simply poor research on your part.

Last edited:

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I really dont understand the issue
I do not say there is any issue, not judging anything, I just want to be sure I understand what you mean.

And when you say "Its unethical and disgusting as well to cheat your customers this way" were is the "cheating" ? Do you mean that selling low-quality products (and knowing you are doing so) is the cheating ?