Cheap outdoor camera cover

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For a camera on a 4ft post, cheap rain cover..Walmart trash can for $1.62..Dang, I might have to spend $4 to spray paint it for UV protection..

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For a camera on a 4ft post, cheap rain cover..Walmart trash can for $1.62..Dang, I might have to spend $4 to spray paint it for UV protection..
The camera does not need a cover. The IR is going to bounce right back at it at night.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not planning to have a transparent cover on the front. This is mostly to keep heavy vertical rains from running down the face. Won't help against blowing rains in the direction of the opening. For < $5 if it has any problems I'll toss it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not planning to have a transparent cover on the front. This is mostly to keep heavy vertical rains from running down the face. Won't help against blowing rains in the direction of the opening. For < $5 if it has any problems I'll toss it.
The IR will reflect even without a transparent color.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll experiment with it. Maybe paint inside black or dark red, outside leave white. Knowing my luck I'll get it set up and have birds start nesting inside. For bare cameras outside have you had to caulk any seams with clear silicone? How many years do Dahua cameras last outside exposed to sun and rain?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll experiment with it. Maybe paint inside black or dark red, outside leave white. Knowing my luck I'll get it set up and have birds start nesting inside. For bare cameras outside have you had to caulk any seams with clear silicone? How many years do Dahua cameras last outside exposed to sun and rain?
No caulking needed. Properly installed, and connections properly waterproofed, they will last many years...as noted by owners that have them up in Florida.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just put some dielectric grease in the connector and don't point it up at the sun and it will be fine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont have to caulk anything. It will last as long as it lasts. No one can tell you, no problem 7 or more years. Most of the time the cameras will be obsolete before they die.