Cheapest Computer for Blue Iris

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for the cheapest computer that can run Blue Iris since I'm frustrated with the NVR interface and gDMSS.

I found Discount Computer Depot on eBay when looking for refurbished computers (which are what is recommended in the Blue Iris hardware thread). I found this computer: Fast HP Elite Desktop Computer Intel Core i5 3.2GHz 8GB 500GB Win 10 Home WiFi | eBay

Is that acceptable? I'd be connecting five or six cameras recording 24/7 in 4K. The hard drive is one of the ones mentioned in the hardware thread (i5) but I don't know the generation or exact model number.

Also, is that hard drive sufficient or do I really need to get one of the Western Digital Purple hard drives?

Thank you.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This one above is $159.99.

This one: Fast Dell Optiplex Desktop Computer Quad Core i5 3.2GHz PC 8GB 1TB Windows 10 | eBay

does mention a processor,

• Intel Core i5 (3rd Gen.) 3470 / 3.2 GHz
but it is more expensive at $209.95.

If that processor is good enough maybe it's best to just go with that one especially if the 1 TB hard drive can be used for recording. If the drive must be replaced then the size doesn't matter.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This one above is $159.99.

This one: Fast Dell Optiplex Desktop Computer Quad Core i5 3.2GHz PC 8GB 1TB Windows 10 | eBay

does mention a processor,

• Intel Core i5 (3rd Gen.) 3470 / 3.2 GHz
but it is more expensive at $209.95.

If that processor is good enough maybe it's best to just go with that one especially if the 1 TB hard drive can be used for recording. If the drive must be replaced then the size doesn't matter.
Dont pay more than 120 for a machine like that...just picked up i5-6500 elitedesks for under 200.
If you are going to run 6x4k cameras I would go with at least a gen 6 i7-6700 to give yourself headroom. These can be found for 400.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont pay more than 120 for a machine like that...just picked up i5-6500 elitedesks for under 200.
If you are going to run 6x4k cameras I would go with at least a gen 6 i7-6700 to give yourself headroom. These can be found for 400.
$400 is too much.. Is there a cheaper system that would be sufficient? I'd rather not stick with an NVR but $400, plus a better UPS, Blue Iris, it's all adding up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
$400 is too much.. Is there a cheaper system that would be sufficient? I'd rather not stick with an NVR but $400, plus a better UPS, Blue Iris, it's all adding up.
You can get away with a 3rd or 4th generation i7 for about 200-300...that is about the cost of a good NVR. You can probably run it on a cheap 100 dollar 3rd gen i5, but you will be pushing the cpu hard because you have 48mp total.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you not going to be doing any motion triggers on the cameras? Just recording 24/7? If so, that takes significantly less resources (I believe). I'd guess that computer could do it, but at a pretty high utilization (though I'd trust what Fenderman says if he disagrees). If you do go with it, I'd replace the hard drive with an SSD as the primary and use a the standard hard drive for the recordings (or get a bigger one).

For reference, I have 5 1080p (20fps) cameras recording only when triggered running on a dell optiplex with an i7-2600s that I got for $100 off craigslist (added some ram and an ssd). The computer is also running my plex server among a few other things and stays around 17% utilization easily. It also doesn't use much power at all. Now that being said, 4k is 4x as many pixels so would require significantly more resources. One of my cameras is a 4k camera and I just set it to 1080p because my server was too old to handle the 4k and it caused problems, also the 4k was completely unnecessary for my application.

Is there any reason you want to record in 4k? 1080p is usually more than enough unless you're trying to grab license plates off of cars out on the street or something.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you!

So, is this a good option?

Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop Computer Core i7-3770 3.4GHz 8GB 1TB Windows 10 Pro | eBay

Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop Computer Core i7-3770 3.4GHz 8GB 1TB Windows 10 Pro

$259.95
no that is WAY too expensive for a computer that old. For a bit more you can get this, which is at least 3 years newer and includes ssd.
HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF i7-6700 3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10 Pro | eBay
or
HP ELITEDESK 800 G2 SFF I7-6700 3.40GHZ 8M 16GB 500GB HDD WIN 10P V0E17US#ABA | eBay

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dang... now I want a new computer too, those are decent deals!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang... now I want a new computer too, those are decent deals!
plug the serials into the HP warranty lookup and they likely have a year or two left on a next business day warranty as well.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you not going to be doing any motion triggers on the cameras? Just recording 24/7? If so, that takes significantly less resources (I believe). I'd guess that computer could do it, but at a pretty high utilization (though I'd trust what Fenderman says if he disagrees). If you do go with it, I'd replace the hard drive with an SSD as the primary and use a the standard hard drive for the recordings (or get a bigger one).

For reference, I have 5 1080p (20fps) cameras recording only when triggered running on a dell optiplex with an i7-2600s that I got for $100 off craigslist (added some ram and an ssd). The computer is also running my plex server among a few other things and stays around 17% utilization easily. It also doesn't use much power at all. Now that being said, 4k is 4x as many pixels so would require significantly more resources. One of my cameras is a 4k camera and I just set it to 1080p because my server was too old to handle the 4k and it caused problems, also the 4k was completely unnecessary for my application.

Is there any reason you want to record in 4k? 1080p is usually more than enough unless you're trying to grab license plates off of cars out on the street or something.
I'd like to get alerts for motion and be able to skip to the motion too, in addition to the 24/7 recording.

And I just want it to record in the best quality which is 4K but I'd be open to meeting certain cameras to a lower setting.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no that is WAY too expensive for a computer that old. For a bit more you can get this, which is at least 3 years newer and includes ssd.
HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF i7-6700 3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10 Pro | eBay
or
HP ELITEDESK 800 G2 SFF I7-6700 3.40GHZ 8M 16GB 500GB HDD WIN 10P V0E17US#ABA | eBay
Thank you, but I'm looking for something that is refurbished by a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and hopefully with a warranty from the seller if there's not a manufacturer warranty. That's why I've been looking at Discount Computer Depot on eBay. I'm open to purchasing from another company but prefer not to purchase from a regular person.

Thank you for your patience with me!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, but I'm looking for something that is refurbished by a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and hopefully with a warranty from the seller if there's not a manufacturer warranty. That's why I've been looking at Discount Computer Depot on eBay. I'm open to purchasing from another company but prefer not to purchase from a regular person.

Thank you for your patience with me!
Don't be a sucker NOTHING is refurbished or tested. all they do is clean it and reinstall Windows...the hp next business day warranty on site is better than anything those certified scammers can offer.. check serial number, most still have a year or two left... I have at least a least 50 of the house systems in service between bi machines and office.. never needed the warranty ...

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't be a sucker NOTHING is refurbished or tested. all they do is clean it and reinstall Windows...the hp next business day warranty on site is better than anything those certified scammers can offer.. check serial number, most still have a year or two left... I have at least a least 50 of the house systems in service between bi machines and office.. never needed the warranty ...
Thank you.

I'd like to be able to learn how to pick out my own system. I've been looking here: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

I don't understand exactly what specifications are necessary for six 4K cameras recording 24/7 and motion activated at 15 fps. There are so many processors on the page above.. 8 GB RAM and an i7 (or maybe an i5?) is needed but I don't know which generation is the oldest that'll work. I'm confused about the hard drive too.. I'm going to post this but in the meantime plan to go back and read through that page some more. there is so much information there. Maybe I'm missing something.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just get what fenderman linked to above and something like that will work great. If those aren't available anymore, this is what you're looking for:
1. A used dell optiplex or hp prodesk/elitedesk
2. i7-6700 or newer i7 (for your setup, an i7-4770 would probably be enough, but not as efficient as the 6700).
3. at least 8 GB of ram
4. A SSD hard drive is preferable, but if it doesn't come with one, just buy one from amazon and upgrade yourself (I actually like this option better because then you can use the old hard drive as clip storage and use the SSD for "new" clips.
5. Look for something less than $350 that checks the above (less than $300 would be ideal).
6. Personal opinion: get something that is "small form factor" (both of Fenderman's now sold options above) so you don't have to deal with a huge desktop tower to put somewhere.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just get what fenderman linked to above and something like that will work great. If those aren't available anymore, this is what you're looking for:
1. A used dell optiplex or hp prodesk/elitedesk
2. i7-6700 or newer i7 (for your setup, an i7-4770 would probably be enough, but not as efficient as the 6700).
3. at least 8 GB of ram
4. A SSD hard drive is preferable, but if it doesn't come with one, just buy one from amazon and upgrade yourself (I actually like this option better because then you can use the old hard drive as clip storage and use the SSD for "new" clips.
5. Look for something less than $350 that checks the above (less than $300 would be ideal).
6. Personal opinion: get something that is "small form factor" (both of Fenderman's now sold options above) so you don't have to deal with a huge desktop tower to put somewhere.
Thank you!

What do you think about this computer?

HP Pavilion Desktop Tower, Intel Core i7-7700 , 16GB Memory, 2TB Hard Drive, Windows 10 home, 570-p033w

I was able to get it for $184 brand new! If that isn't good for this use I'll keep it for something else.

What is an SSD needed for exactly?