Cheapie garage door camera

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking for cheap camera whose main job will simply be to make it easy to tell if the garage door was accidentally left open. I looked through the Longsee price list and my head is still spinning. What would you use for this basic purpose?
Thanks,
John

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
as a matter fact I am using Longse IMX124 dome cam for basic cheap garage door, it has microphone as a bonus.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about a cheap wifi indoor camera mounted inside the garage pointed at the door?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not just get an automatic garage door closer? its cheaper, and affords actual security: not endorsing this specific product, there are many ways to skin a fish, just an example: http://www.amazon.com/Garage-Guardian-Automatic-Closer-Timer/dp/B00KED4T8W

Keeps you from rushing off in a hurry and having some leaves blow past the sensor as the door is shutting and abort it after you've pulled away.. only to come home and find your house and garage been emptied.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about a cheap wifi indoor camera mounted inside the garage pointed at the door?
Which cam would you recommend for this task? It would have to be a camera that has good wifi to make sure it doesn't go down. I was thinking a non-poe wired cam to keep things reliable and maintenance free.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not just get an automatic garage door closer? its cheaper, and affords actual security: not endorsing this specific product, there are many ways to skin a fish, just an example: http://www.amazon.com/Garage-Guardian-Automatic-Closer-Timer/dp/B00KED4T8W

Keeps you from rushing off in a hurry and having some leaves blow past the sensor as the door is shutting and abort it after you've pulled away.. only to come home and find your house and garage been emptied.
That isn't a bad idea at all. The best solution here may be a new garage door opener that has wifi and status etc. But, I don't want to mess with that level of effort. I would have to wonder if the door would automatically close on the item that was left in the way of the door though...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no it wont close if the sensors wont allow it, most of these are a wireless tilt sensor on the door to tell if its horizontal or vertical, then a controller you replace your push button with.. all it does is push the button for you if the door is open for longer than the timeout... should work with pretty much any opener, even if its old as shit.

I would not buy a 'smart' opener, even for my smart house.. I use my automation system to push the button with a simple relay, and a contact switch on the door to tell if its open or closed.. I removed the radio antenna and the only way to open the garage door is via my automation controller, which requires a signed certificate to access.. the door closes automatically when the phone leaves a geofence, or after a timeout.. it opens via Geofence too.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no it wont close if the sensors wont allow it, most of these are a wireless tilt sensor on the door to tell if its horizontal or vertical, then a controller you replace your push button with.. all it does is push the button for you if the door is open for longer than the timeout... should work with pretty much any opener, even if its old as shit.

I would not buy a 'smart' opener, even for my smart house.. I use my automation system to push the button with a simple relay, and a contact switch on the door to tell if its open or closed.. I removed the radio antenna and the only way to open the garage door is via my automation controller, which requires a signed certificate to access.. the door closes automatically when the phone leaves a geofence, or after a timeout.. it opens via Geofence too.
That is a very cool solution. I like that you were able to add the geofence function in as well. However, I am looking for a camera to show the garage door with a bonus of surveillance in the garage. How about this for a cheapie? LBM30S130 http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/plastic-bullet-IR-Camera-Waterproof-3-6mm-20M-1-3MP-960P-IP66-POE-OV9750-GM8135S-solution/612513_32582557039.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000013.37.6xxgIF

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When did the world become such a difficult place that we don't know if we left the garage door open or not ? too me that's right up there with did I wipe or not ? I would suggest disconnecting the opener that way you walk up to open and walk up to close only two things you have to remember in a very confused life.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Funny, but I like modern conveniences. Besides, I'm not doing this for my house.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have also thought about the TOP-201, but I think I read somewhere in that thread that it's web page has some sort of virus...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Garage doors can auto reverse if they bind up at all or a mouse/rabbit/tree rat can run in your garage and trip the pe while the door is closing. if you don't watch the door go all the way down you can't be sure it's closed.

The PE sensors are too low to tell if your bumper is in the path of the door or your lift gate is open. Something to watch for with auto closers.

At some point in everyone's life, even if you're careful about such things there will come a morning where you discover you left to garage door up overnight or when you can't find your keys and realize they're dangling from the lock on your front door. Some people just do these things a lot more often.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Funny, but I like modern conveniences. Besides, I'm not doing this for my house.
I'm just saying the way things are headed we will be just like "Wall-E" movie. Floating around in chairs and everything automated. I did not mean to pick on your topic and I can appreciate what your looking for just making fun.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
This one makes a good garage camera. I've got one in a garage now. Picture quality is better than a Hik 2032 in the daytime and a lot better at night. $35 delivered.

48V PoE IP Camera 1/2.8'' SONY IMX222 FULL HD 1080P IP Camera PoE Mini Dome Indoor Camera IP 2 Megapixel IP Camera PoE Cable
http://s.aliexpress.com/ENf2yyme
(from AliExpress Android)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This one makes a good garage camera. I've got one in a garage now. Picture quality is better than a Hik 2032 in the daytime and a lot better at night. $35 delivered.

48V PoE IP Camera 1/2.8'' SONY IMX222 FULL HD 1080P IP Camera PoE Mini Dome Indoor Camera IP 2 Megapixel IP Camera PoE Cable
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/by6hvJb2
Is this one of those cameras that runs super hot? They list the FoV as 69°C... lol. There's another thread about some of these cheap cams running about that hot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just saying the way things are headed we will be just like "Wall-E" movie. Floating around in chairs and everything automated. I did not mean to pick on your topic and I can appreciate what your looking for just making fun.
Automated Security is good, the biggest cause of human error.. is well humans of course.. Leaving doors unlocked and or opened is a common mistake that gets even the best of us sooner or later.. machines do much better job than us, thats why planes fly them selves and soon cars will drive them selves.

alot of automation is hardly practical, I am more in it for improving efficiencies.. smart sprinklers, smart heating/cooling, smart lighting might not be quite cost effective yet.. but it will be and I am just an early adopter.. having my clothes washer remind me I left a load in it prevents me from having to rewash it.. little things like that add up and allow me to keep focused on more important things.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
This cam runs cool. Barely feel the heat coming from it when you hold the housing in your hand.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/vs6IoI8
Thats funny, I have one of these I'm my garage too, but aimed a mouse trap... I have a critter that is outsmarting me!

These silly little cameras are working so well (and they are quite tiny) that I am thinking of replacing all my high priced cameras ! I have noticed no heat issues so far.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used cams that way too. I'm running low on cams so none in my home garage at the moment. I repurposed the mouse cam for a more important duty. Looking at putting in another order to fill in some gaps.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've used cams that way too. I'm running low on cams so none in my home garage at the moment. I repurposed the mouse cam for a more important duty. Looking at putting in another order to fill in some gaps.
Warning: a bit of a thread hi-jack....

I have got more enjoyment out of these little cams than all my others, include a 20x PTX beast with all the bells and whistles. They are way better than the TOP-201's (anybody want one? lol) and the picture quality is very good, nighttime performance very good, POE to boot !!! and they come in black so I don't have to paint (like I do with the name brand jobbies).

And they are so cheap, I don't really care if one gets vandalized! The only risk is the long term reliability, they haven't been around long enough to say.

(Note too many of the cams can consume huge bandwidth on your LAN if you go crazy! lol) :D