Check in from Seattle, WA

Super425

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi my name is Alex

I am in the market of looking for a surveillance camera for my house that can cover the full perimeter. I have look into couple of the system but cant really make up my mind on what to get. Hope I can have someone on here to help out

Detail on what I am looking for: Need a set of camera that 6+ (prefer 6 cameras as it will be perfect for the setup). Image quality will be clear enough to see the license plate. I don't know either to go for DVR or NVR. And for the price range i am shooting 500 or less.

Thanks in advance.

Super425

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for you input, but I should not even mention of reading plate. LOL I just need a system that can do the job of recording what ever happen around the house. As a recent incident that I have as the intruder walked into my garage as it was open for less then 20 mins. The area was safe but just not safe enough.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for you input, but I should not even mention of reading plate. LOL I just need a system that can do the job of recording what ever happen around the house. As a recent incident that I have as the intruder walked into my garage as it was open for less then 20 mins. The area was safe but just not safe enough.
Hi Super425,

Your budget maybe a bit too tight. Plan to take some time to learn more about your options before making a final choice.

Ask yourself questions along the lines of:
1) Which is more important, Day Time or Night Time?
2) Do you want to potentially be able to ID suspects?
3) Where is the greatest threat coming from? ( front of the house? to the front door? garage? back yard? )

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Also take the following system as a comparison point:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

Follow the link in the above as I have there for additional notes in the SD wiki.

If you need good night time / low image coverage then you'll definitely want to look closer at the dahua starlight models.

There's a lot of options and different ways to configure and customize your setup, and many of us have put together custom kits by individually selecting products.

Have fun joining us here.