China Telecom - Its getting serious

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The FCC has revoked China Telecom’s license and has 60 days to wind down their operations in America. The company has operated in the USA for more than 20 years. If stories are true several other large Chinese companies may be banned and told to cease operations in America.

I don’t know how many people are employed by this company in America. But this will obviously impact quite a few for sure.

I also wonder how it will impact competition in the various markets and the cost to the end consumers.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Now I know why I get "scam/spam" calls for an extended car warranty :facepalm: :rofl:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
China is handing out billions of dollars in loans to African countries to help build infrastructure. I went on holiday to Kenya a few years ago and most of the main highways there have banners and flags with Chinese writing all along the side of the roads. They’ve also built the main railway between Nairobi and Mombasa.

Why are they doing this when they full well know that they most likely won’t get a return on their loans, because in the grand scheme of things they will collect their debts via other means, I’ve heard rumours that as Kenya has been unable to keep up payments the latest plan is try and take over Mombasa port or build another major port in Mombasa!

I suppose in business people or nations will get hurt but loan shark loans come to mind.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
China is handing out billions of dollars in loans to African countries to help build infrastructure. I went on holiday to Kenya a few years ago and most of the main highways there have banners and flags with Chinese writing all along the side of the roads. They’ve also built the main railway between Nairobi and Mombasa.

Why are they doing this when they full well know that they most likely won’t get a return on their loans, because in the grand scheme of things they will collect their debts via other means, I’ve heard rumours that as Kenya has been unable to keep up payments the latest plan is try and take over Mombasa port or build another major port in Mombasa!

I suppose in business people or nations will get hurt but loan shark loans come to mind.
FYI - this is called Debt Diplomacy ... ( or Debt Trap Diplomacy )

China then comes in and takes a piece of the country for 99 years if they can not pay ..

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The US currently has almost 29 trillion dollars of debt. China owns about 1.3 trillion of the US debt. We are slaves to China and nothing will change that until our country quits adding 3 or 4 trillion dollars per year of debt and raising the debt ceiling. We need to stop now, abolish all the social project spending, fire everyone in Congress and start with a clean slate of people who are focused on reducing our countries debt to other countries and will work like the rest of us, for a 5 figure salary, have them pay for their own health insurance and ban all of the special interest groups.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The US currently has almost 29 trillion dollars of debt. China owns about 1.3 trillion of the US debt. We are slaves to China and nothing will change that until our country quits adding 3 or 4 trillion dollars per year of debt and raising the debt ceiling. We need to stop now, abolish all the social project spending, fire everyone in Congress and start with a clean slate of people who are focused on reducing our countries debt to other countries and will work like the rest of us, for a 5 figure salary, have them pay for their own health insurance and ban all of the special interest groups.
1635980426708.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
That only works if you have all the resources the country needs and can self sustain, maybe even going back to the good old barter system. Wonder if the US public would be up for it?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
That only works if you have all the resources the country needs and can self sustain, maybe even going back to the good old barter system. Wonder if the US public would be up for it?

You have to start somewhere. Getting more credit cards because you have maxed our all the other ones is not the answer. We are not paying down our debt, we are barely making just the interest payments.