Choosing PC Case for Multiple HDD ?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Wanted to get general opinion here we are in 2020. What pre build if any would you guys pick say for blueiris PC in case prespective for say a i9 9900k ? Specially when you know you are gonna say put 5-10 Hard drives 3.5 inch. If there is no pre build what cases would you recommend ? Thank you !

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I built 'Monster' a year ago I used the Corsair 750D, Obsidian Series™ 750D Full Tower ATX Case
It has 2 bays for 3 3-1/2 inch drives in each. It also has 3 5-1/4 inch bays in the front of the case. I use 2 of them (one for a usb multi hub and the other for a DVD player). You could utilize some of them for 3-1/2's.
It's a BIG case. I only use one of the bays with 2 6tb drives in it. The MB has a 2tb NVMe. That's a lot of drives you want to stick in a desktop. Ever consider a NAS?

1580062025016.png

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, But then Blueiris probably dont like NAS / SMB for recording these camera feeds. I was looking into the Phanteks Enthoo 719 (PH-ES719LTG_DBK01)

Seems like this one can take up to 12xhdd

Extreme configuration for fans (up to 15x fan mounting location), watercooling (dual 480 and dual 360 radiator support simultaneously), and storage (up to 12x HDDs or 11x SSDs)

Any other case which looks kinda cool and still can hold lot of HDDs ?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When i built my last WHS2011 server that was used to run BI. I used a Cooler Master HAF-912. I added addition exhaust cooling fans in the top. I had 4 hard drives and two SSD installed running an old AMD 6300 and 16 GB memory. For a server case bigger is better.

My current standalone PC for BI is an HP elitedesk tower.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wanted to get general opinion here we are in 2020. What pre build if any would you guys pick say for blueiris PC in case prespective for say a i9 9900k ? Specially when you know you are gonna say put 5-10 Hard drives 3.5 inch. If there is no pre build what cases would you recommend ? Thank you !
If it were me, I would consider server chassis along these lines: Rosewill RSV-4310L Server Case or Chassis, 4U Rackmount - 7 x Included Cooling Fans, 10 x Internal Bays - Newegg.com This one happens to have a "fan wall" between the drives and the motherboard, which takes three 120mm fans.

1580067525305.png

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
If it were me, I would consider server chassis along these lines: Rosewill RSV-4310L Server Case or Chassis, 4U Rackmount - 7 x Included Cooling Fans, 10 x Internal Bays - Newegg.com This one happens to have a "fan wall" between the drives and the motherboard, which takes three 120mm fans.

View attachment 54623
I just dont know how it will kinda look and would I even have a place on the desk for it or it might just have to sit on the floor. But I hear you for the drives and cooling it be better. However it will be also louder I think if I put more fans offcourse.. Will still kinda keep it as an option. Thank you !

Reaction score
I saved my old desktop tower (AZZA 2000 HURRICAN) “just in case” but if I didn’t have it I’d definitely consider something like the Rosewill designed for that number of drives. I just don’t think I would ever put that many disks in anything (even a NAS) but who knows maybe someday.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just dont know how it will kinda look and would I even have a place on the desk for it or it might just have to sit on the floor. But I hear you for the drives and cooling it be better. However it will be also louder I think if I put more fans offcourse.. Will still kinda keep it as an option. Thank you !
If I bought the Rosewill myself, I would be firmly bolting it to something so an intruder would have to work a bit to take it. Big, heavy and ugly works for me. I'd also splurge on some premium low-noise 120mm fans for it.

I do have a i9-9900K with a respectable quad-heatpipe heatsink equipped with a 120mm fan. FYI under heavy load, the i9's temperature can still pick up very quickly if the motherboard is trying for a low-noise fan speed at the expense of cooling. I ended up telling it to run the CPU and case fans at full speed, and I can still send the CPU into the 70C-75C range at high CPU loads. The takeaway is that your CPU fan might be your loudest fan.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
e heatsink equipped with a 120mm fan. FYI under heavy load, the i9's temperature can still pick up very quickl
Interesting what is the load on your i9 9900k ? For blue iris . I am currently pushing about 900 mps however my cameras are dialed back since my CPU cannot take it. I will be upgrading so want to consider the PC case for the drives and also want to see if I can try to keep the fan noise to min at same time since this is indoor or interior room where it be. Do not want it to sound like a server farm LOL

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting what is the load on your i9 9900k ? For blue iris . I am currently pushing about 900 mps however my cameras are dialed back since my CPU cannot take it. I will be upgrading so want to consider the PC case for the drives and also want to see if I can try to keep the fan noise to min at same time since this is indoor or interior room where it be. Do not want it to sound like a server farm LOL
Its load when recording (1670MP/sec) is drifting between 35% and 42%. The real test is playback WHILE continuing to record. 1x forward playback of six cameras (while also recording all of them) will immediately take the CPU usage up to about 70%-75%. If I let playback continue, this will eventually swamp the CPU at 100% and Blue Iris will start throwing camera recording overboard to maintain playback, example below. So my advice is to overprovision.

In this instance, some of the cams are being decoded by the GTX1660 and the rest by the Intel GPU. If the Intel GPU is disabled (no QuickSync), the CPU takes on that job and CPU load goes up by... any guesses? :) About 10%.

01-26-2020@17_29_36.jpg

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Its load when recording (1670MP/sec) is drifting between 35% and 42%. The real test is playback WHILE continuing to record. 1x forward playback of six cameras (while also recording all of them) will immediately take the CPU usage up to about 70%-75%. If I let playback continue, this will eventually swamp the CPU at 100% and Blue Iris will start throwing camera recording overboard to maintain playback, example below. So my advice is to overprovision.

In this instance, some of the cams are being decoded by the GTX1660 and the rest by the Intel GPU. If the Intel GPU is disabled (no QuickSync), the CPU takes on that job and CPU load goes up by... any guesses? :) About 10%.

View attachment 54649
That is a nice system and you have 7 disk seems like Sweet !!! Yeah, I was reviewing some footage with Cop the other day one thing I really hope it can do is say you are revwing footage with cop and when playing or scrolling thru it using mouse it does not skip frames.. so that way We can actually see right away where to kinda start playing it from that be a huge benefit ... Now what kind of CPU intensive resource it requires I am not sure maybe someone can shed some light or maybe disk read speeds...

Totally un related to cpu case but I am using WD gold disk I know WD purple are more designed for survellance system but again I wanted the 14 tb which were only in WD GOLD.. it is still an enterprise server drive .. So should last for a long time hopefully.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I may be wrong but its my understanding that BI only really needs a fast drive for New and Database files. The NVMe has been plenty adequate for that. I push everything from there to the stored folder located an my NAS.

btw if you want really cool case take a look at the Lian Li in white -
Its a great case to build in and looks terrific when done
NVM.e is overkill. You're spending a lot of money for speed you don't need. Most boards that support NVM.e at low cost only have 1 slot and gen 3 isn't much faster than a normal SATA SSD in practice on Gen 3. Gen 4 requires an expensive Motherboard. Gen 4 also run hot and can throttle under constant access as low as 0kbs! See DeBaurers test video on Gen 4 on Youtube. Most users of BI on here from what I've seen are running it from a normal HDD.

If you want to ensure BI runs quickly, then choose an SSD, but all you need do is get a small Sata SSD like this: TeamGroup 250GB Vulcan SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive

£30 / $30 will save you a fortune vs an NVME! That one isn't the fastest, but it's write is only 100kbs off the best and the read up there, plus you'll be reading off it anyway, plus even at that speed, it's complete overkill - @10x faster than a HDD.

As for main drives, there are some SSD endurance drives out now that could be used for CCTV in place of HDD's. Given SSD's are still expensive in the larger sizes, HDD's may be the only choice. Not sure why you'd need 5 HDD's, but plenty of big cases out there. The biggest issue is have they got 5 x HDD trays? NAS may be your only option. Again not sure why you need 5 HHD's. Capacities are currently going through the roof and they're becoming cheap now SSD is taking off. I believe you can already buy a 16TB HD and a manufacturer, I forget which, recently announced it had developed a 200TB+ drive although it's not come to market, at least yet.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I think Only drives I found so far were the 14Tb. I know WD Gold 18 tb and 20 tb are out but only for big data center. I have about 24 cameras and on a constant loop. to hold for 30 days. So therefore needing multiple drives. Trying to hold data at-least for 30 days min.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NVM.e is overkill. You're spending a lot of money for speed you don't need. Most boards that support NVM.e at low cost only have 1 slot and gen 3 isn't much faster than a normal SATA SSD in practice on Gen 3. Gen 4 requires an expensive Motherboard. Gen 4 also run hot and can throttle under constant access as low as 0kbs! See DeBaurers test video on Gen 4 on Youtube. Most users of BI on here from what I've seen are running it from a normal HDD.

If you want to ensure BI runs quickly, then choose an SSD, but all you need do is get a small Sata SSD like this: TeamGroup 250GB Vulcan SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive

£30 / $30 will save you a fortune vs an NVME! That one isn't the fastest, but it's write is only 100kbs off the best and the read up there, plus you'll be reading off it anyway, plus even at that speed, it's complete overkill - @10x faster than a HDD.

As for main drives, there are some SSD endurance drives out now that could be used for CCTV in place of HDD's. Given SSD's are still expensive in the larger sizes, HDD's may be the only choice. Not sure why you'd need 5 HDD's, but plenty of big cases out there. The biggest issue is have they got 5 x HDD trays? NAS may be your only option. Again not sure why you need 5 HHD's. Capacities are currently going through the roof and they're becoming cheap now SSD is taking off. I believe you can already buy a 16TB HD and a manufacturer, I forget which, recently announced it had developed a 200TB+ drive although it's not come to market, at least yet.
I agree with everything you said CCTVCam. However in my case BI is hardly the primary use for my desktop. I do extensive photo and video editing (amateurish as I am) as well as work on extremely large Excel sheets. The 2950X Threadripper is way overkill for anything I really need but I built it because I could. I find it hard to believe tech101 is building this top line desktop just for BI, unless he is doing it because he can :).

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
For video editing, your setup makes a lot more sense, although with the performance of chips such as the 3900X+, the gap is very much narrowed between threadripper and affordable CPU's that offer nearly as much performance, at least until programs start to support the 128 threads as found on the top TR!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower. It'll hold ten 3.5 or 2.5 drives and three 5.25 drives. Then, throw in that SSD drives, four I think, can also be mounted in the wiring cavity and it'll more than handle a big BI system.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said CCTVCam. However in my case BI is hardly the primary use for my desktop. I do extensive photo and video editing (amateurish as I am) as well as work on extremely large Excel sheets. The 2950X Threadripper is way overkill for anything I really need but I built it because I could. I find it hard to believe tech101 is building this top line desktop just for BI, unless he is doing it because he can :).
Well another reason for my build is Also Plex Server. Right now I am running a 2nd pc for Plex and I would really love it if I can have the power to run everything on one PC... That is the reason I am thinking i9 9900k Also I have thought about AMD 3950x I think @bp2008 has done some testing it does hit some sort of memory limitation I believe he said at around 1500-1600 mps that is the reason I kinda am still thinkinng to do i9 9900k or even maybe KS but that KS processor is hard to find.

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this reviewing some CES coverage: Silverstone CS381 Requires MICRO-ITX MB, requires SFX power, but holds 8-3.5" drives and 2-2.5" SSD. NOT cheap!!

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I built 'Monster' a year ago I used the Corsair 750D, Obsidian Series™ 750D Full Tower ATX Case
It has 2 bays for 3 3-1/2 inch drives in each. It also has 3 5-1/4 inch bays in the front of the case. I use 2 of them (one for a usb multi hub and the other for a DVD player). You could utilize some of them for 3-1/2's.
It's a BIG case. I only use one of the bays with 2 6tb drives in it. The MB has a 2tb NVMe. That's a lot of drives you want to stick in a desktop. Ever consider a NAS?

View attachment 54620
Why the glass, I can see in