Choppy recordings and missed action

Reaction score
Im running Blue Iris on a 4+ year old laptop with an i5 and 8GB ram. I have 6 cameras (5 foscam and 1 armcrest), 5 of which record on motion, the 6th is just a backup monitor in the nursery so it doesnt record, i just stream the video on a tablet sometimes.

The cameras are all configured in their web interfaces for 15 FPS at 720P. Blue iris is set for 720P capture and limited to 20FPS on each camera. BI is running as a service and i only ever open the GIU when i want to make changes. Cameras are recording on motion at 15FPS direct to disk as WMV files (so i can view easily on other devices).

Most of the time the processor is around 50% and it uses around 3GB ram. Its recording to a USB3 drive thats connected to the computer directly (instead of recording to a network share).

So the issue is the recordings are inconsistent. ive adjusted the motion settings so it is usually pretty good about recording the activity i want (other than 1 camera that has a tree in the middle of the frame so it records a LOT, but im okay with it). The most important camera is an Armcrest 1080P PoE camera on my porch. Streaming the camera in a browser, the armcrest app or IP cam viewer pro is usually very smooth. When BI records, though, the majority of the time it is choppy and misses activity. For example, a package could be delivered, but the camera will record the delivery guy approaching, then nothing, then ill see the package appear on the porch and nobody there. or someone will walk out of the door, so i see the door open, someone appears, then a gap and either nobody on the porch or just a glimpse of them as they exit the frame.

Ive got the motion sensitivity turned up most of the way (small pixels and travel distance, as well as low contrast to trigger recordings), it pre-records 1.5 seconds.

im not sure what else to do. Is this just a hardware limitation of an old laptop? I dont mind investing a little cash in a newer server to run BI, but im worried ill have the same problem. Is an NVR the way to go? Any input or additional troubleshooting would be appreciated, im approaching my wit's end and i need to get this fixed soon so i can have a set of eyes on all of our deliveries as we start Christmas shopping. Thanks!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Elnorte,

Just wanted to welcome you seeing that you're new to posting here, I'm not a user of BI at this moment so i will let the experts here chime in.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Reaction score
Might be the USB drive. Everything I've read suggested sticking with internal drives. I've also read that many usb 3.0 drives are not actually running at the speeds you think they are. Can you try recording to the internal as a test? If it works, you might be able to use the internal drive for new recordings, and the usb drive for stored recordings.
yeah thats a good idea. I had it recording to the internal drive before but i honestly cant remember if that was any better. ill change it and do some testing tonight.

Reaction score
I thought i had already changed it to record direct to disk, but apparently i missed the porch camera. I changed that setting and changed the target folder to the local drive. a couple of tests last night were significantly better, though still a LITTLE choppy. Its probably acceptable, though, since i can actually see whats going on. Ill do some more testing over the weekend. Thanks for the help!