Clean Install of Win10 and HDD Partitions - need advice

beardog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just booted up the brand new Optiplex 9020 SFF.
About to upgrade to Win10 and then install my WD purple 3TB which I will be running Blue Iris and recording feeds.

Can someone clarify if:

1.) I need to create any special partitions if I plan to use the WD Purple for the a.)Windows OS, b.)Blue Iris c.) video feeds?

2.) Are there any settings in Windows10 or BI I should know about that will optimize the setup above? (I have zero experience
with Win10 and BI)

3.) Fenderman mentioned a Shell Program on a different thread. Can someone explain?

Thanks!

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have recommended to all of my clients to not upgrade to Windows 10, at least not for now. Maybe in a year or so after all the bugs are worked out. Most are happy with staying with Windows 7.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No need for any partitions...but do a CLEAN install not an in place upgrade. The new microsoft media creation tool will allow you to install windows 10 using the 7 key...or do an in place upgrade, confirm its activated, then do a clean install using the media creation tool (no key needed)..
Make sure to exlude blue iris from any antivirus (or windows defender)...
Not sure what you mean by a shell program..
For the record windows 10 is just fine...you will be forced to upgrade in 6 months before the free option runs out (unless MS changes that)...staying with 7 is an option though but security updates will end in 2020, I dont see any problems with 10 and use 10 on all new pc's.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq
according to MS, it expires on [FONT=WOL_Reg]July 29, 2016[/FONT]
The free upgrade is a full version of Windows (not a trial or introductory version) and is available until July 29, 2016. Once you upgrade, you’ll have Windows 10 for free on that device.
Maybe you're reading that wrong? I believe the intent is to communicate that you can update for free until July 29, 2016...and after that time you will have to pay to upgrade.

And, once you have it on your device it is free for the life of the device which you have upgraded...unless your drive dies...and then its the old...
anal2.gif

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you're reading that wrong? I believe the intent is to communicate that you can update for free until July 29, 2016...and after that time you will have to pay to upgrade.

And, once you have it on your device it is free for the life of the device which you have upgraded...unless your drive dies...and then its the old...
View attachment 7068
I think we are both talking about two different things...I am referring to the time in which you have to upgrade a current 7/8 license for free. So whats the point of installing 7 if you will have to upgrade in july or lose the free option...
Also, a simple hard drive change will not invalidate the w10 license.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I don't know about that Mr. Fenderman... I'm just glad I finally had the opportunity to finally use that smilie.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
W10 has been working fine for me. I boot off an ssd and have a second drive where BI stores data.

beardog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No need for any partitions...but do a CLEAN install not an in place upgrade. The new microsoft media creation tool will allow you to install windows 10 using the 7 key...or do an in place upgrade, confirm its activated, then do a clean install using the media creation tool (no key needed)..
Make sure to exlude blue iris from any antivirus (or windows defender)...
Not sure what you mean by a shell program..
For the record windows 10 is just fine...you will be forced to upgrade in 6 months before the free option runs out (unless MS changes that)...staying with 7 is an option though but security updates will end in 2020, I dont see any problems with 10 and use 10 on all new pc's.
Fenderman - post #95 on "Blue Iris Hardware Recomendations" you wrote...

"Welcome to the forum..the machine will run exceptionally cool. Dont be concerned. Do a clean install of windows 10....install classic shell and call it a day."

What is Classic Shell? - That is is what I was referring to.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As a note I am upgrading everything to Windows 10 both personally and professionally and I have had zero issues. All my home devices and machines have had it for a while now, and I am upgrading all my NVRs to Win10 and they are doing great. I'm literally making installation media right now to have a thumb drive handy to do a few more. The entire company will be on 10 soon across the board and we're a good size company with some extremely unusual and special use software with no issues. Design team using AutoCad switched, no issues.

Literally no big changes and no one has complained or had issues from the upgrade. All tablets in the office have been upgraded. The only issue I have had was with Intel NUC systems as they need a new nic driver after the upgrade. The Windows 7 drivers work, but only after unplugging and replugging the network cable at every boot. Odd, but new drivers fix it right up. I'm building yet another NVR in the next few minutes to run Win 10 - I'm going to have trouble getting through all 86 Exacq servers before the times up though lol.

Also - The first major update - SP1 if you will - is out and going fine. Many sysadmins I know are now moving forward full steam as problems are few and far between and any major pain points have been addressed already.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Windows 10 has been working fine for me. One thing I didn't like was the automatic updates but I was able to use gpedit to stop that since I have Windows 10 Professional.