Cleaning Cameras / Maintenance

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Not so much an installation question, but a maintenance one.

I have a PTZ and couple of turret cameras that have been up for a few years, and getting a little dusty.

Just wondering how often you clean your cameras - and what do you use - just water and a microfibre? perhaps some pH neutral detergent?

Obviously worried about scratching/scuffing the lens.

Do you do any other 'maintenance' on the cameras - ie regular rebooting them? Or just let them run until there are issues?

Cheers

Randel

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just clean the lens with distilled water and a microfiber cloth. All of my cameras, well almost all, are up under eaves and don't get very dirty at all. If they did, I'd use a cleaner, Spray Nine or Fantastic, then wipe with clean water.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I'd add to make sure you use an ammonia-free product, as the old school blue Windex (with ammonia) is not good for non-glass or plastic. I've been using Armor All ammonia-free glass cleaner for years in my cars, TV, laptop and monitor screens...and camera lenses.

EDIT: FWIW, I make rags out of my old 100% cotton tee shirts, seems like a constant supply; they're soft, absorbent and fairly lint-free.

Reaction score
It depends on the cam. I clean off my LPR cams every coupe of weeks as they are in my garden just 2 feet off the ground. Use my handkerchief as I am walking in the yard and think about it. Other cams that are harder to get to, like the driveway and intersection cams that need a step ladder, well they get treatment when I feel like it. Maybe twice a year. Rarely do I use any liquid on the lenses. The LPR cams get wet from the rain and lawn sprinklers.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've always just used Windex and a paper towel. Spray the towel with Windex, don't spray the camera. The security company I used to work for has done that for years and it's never caused a problem with a cameras lense or scratch it or anything. If you're worried about scratching it, a microfiber cloth will work just as well. Or there are disposable shop towels that work well too. They're just like paper towels, but just softer. They're usually blue, I like them a lot.

enderdogan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we apply a special solution to the lens part of the cameras before the installation of imaging systems, and we can eliminate dust and water droplets on the camera lens between 12 and 24 months. This solution belongs to a Spanish company. We supply the liter in the band of about 75€. Approximately 100 - 150 cameras can be processed with one liter ( 150 mini bullet, 100 bullet ). Before applying, the lens part of the camera needs to be very clean. Since we apply this application to new products that have been opened from their packages, we do the cleaning in the first place by using detergents with low pH level and micro fiber cloth. After the solution is applied to the clean lens, it should wait for at least 24 hours in a clean environment. This is because the solution can form a layer on the lens. Let's face it, if it is desired to apply an operation to an active camera, I can recommend cleaning the camera lens with a toothbrush with a soft brush and then applying the solution. However, this solution will give you results between 6 and 12 months at most, although it varies according to the sterilization condition of the environment. For one hundred percent solutions, I can recommend you to use this application for new products. This solution is also used on the glass surfaces of solar panels.

Reaction score
Hi, I don't work with detergents. I think chemicals are suitable for other purposes. I guess you can use it to wash some ceramic parts or anything, but not the camera. It's better to clean it with something like high-pressure water. I don't have a special pump that can produce such a powerful jet, which will be enough for quality camera cleaning. My friend often washes his car and boat with the Sparkle Wash cleaning company. I didn't know if they washed the cameras this way, but I didn't regret contacting them. My camera, which had completely lost its proper appearance and hope of restoration, became like new. After all, pure cold water with strong pressure can purify anything.

Last edited: