Clip storage anomaly?

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have one concern and one question.
The concern is that on the BI interface the little graphic that shows the chart on it above the clip previews is showing red, and when I click on it I get a clip storage overview that looks like attached. As you can see Drive E: does not look right. (All storage drives are identical). To try to remedy this I tried rebuilding the database and running CHKDSK /f /r on all drives and it did find some things wrong with a couple of the drives but did not change attached.. Any idea what might be causing this for things to try?

My setup is I have 14 cameras total about half of them 4 megapixel and the other half 8 megapixel evenly distributed pointing to these three drives.

The thing that brought my attention to this was that BI was creating a new clip every 10 seconds (on drive F:) and that clip would only be zero or one seconds long, (BI did not create a file for these ultrashort clips) CHKDSK seemed to fix this problem.

And my question is what should be my maximum file size? Currently I have it set for 2 GB and this gives me about 30 minutes or one hour depending on camera resolution for each file. I would like to increase that to get fewer files if possible..

Thanks in advance, James.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The E: drive looks OK.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI. Leave at least 50GB free.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.
10) for performance do not put more than about 10,000 files in a folder, the search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help)

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK thanks for this.
I have a spare drive of same size as storage drives. based on what you say, I was thinking on moving the clips from each drive to the spare, then formatting storage drive with 1024 cluster, then move the clips back to storage drives. Will this work or do I need to just format storage drives and start over?
I will change my file size to 3GB.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You could try allow setting the allocated drive space to a lower number so that there is a smidge more Free space on Aux1 and Stored....and see if the red flag thing still occurs

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try allow setting the allocated drive space to a lower number so that there is a smidge more Free space on Aux1 and Stored....and see if the red flag thing still occurs
Thanks Flintstone 61, I did mess around with the allocated space (up and down) and it didn't seem to make any difference. I'm now trying what I mentioned above which is moving the clips from each storage Drive to a temporary drive, then reformatting the storage Drive (with 1024) and moving the files back onto it and see what that does..