Clips / Archiving settings clarification

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got my 3TB WD Purple drive installed today, I only have 6 cameras recording direct-to-disc and setting it up and have a few questions:

1) I saw that the DB should be located on the local (C:) drive, will having the DB on the C: and the clips on the WD Purple drive affect performance when trying to view them? Is it better to have it that way or have both on the WD Purple drive?

2) I want to have the NEW clips for X amount of days then moved to STORED and stay in the STORED folder until the space on the HD is almost full, how can this be done? Is it recommended? Or is it recommended to have it in the Storage folder for X amount of days. (My issue is I could set it for say 15 or 30 days, but based on the recordings that may only take up 1-2TB and not fully take advantage of my space).

3) I noticed that for some reason my "new" clips from today are being put directly in the "Storage" folder, even though I have the "NEW" settings as "limit clip age to 14" and assuming after 14 days i have "move to folder" "storage" selected

3) off topic question - Will setting the Pre-trigger video buffer to 20 seconds cause significant CPU issues? I ask because I had it at 10 and it still seemed to miss some beginning recordings. I have a i5 6500 8GBRAM

I would like to keep the clips as long as possible to fill the HD without causing any performance issues.

Can anyone provide a little more insight?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
locate DB on the fastest drive...
Dont use days...simply move folders based on space..if using a single drive for storage there is no need for more than a single new folder unless you have ocd.
test cpu affect and see for yourself..the system will not blow up..

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Basically to save all clips to same folder "New" and start deleting the oldest recording once there is less than say 30GB of space on the drive I would set it up as follows, then I don't have to worry about any of the other Folder settings (Stored, Alerts, Aux 1)?

upload_2017-6-7_20-18-49.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So Basically to save all clips to same folder "New" and start deleting the oldest recording once there is less than say 30GB of space on the drive I would set it up as follows, then I don't have to worry about any of the other Folder settings (Stored, Alerts, Aux 1)?

View attachment 19082
30gb is the amount of storage you have allocated ....way to little...set it to about 95 percent of the drive capacity...note that 1tb is NOT 1000gb...

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
30gb is the amount of storage you have allocated ....way to little...set it to about 95 percent of the drive capacity...note that 1tb is NOT 1000gb...
Ah ok...

Wait how is 1TB not 1000GB? If i have a 3TB drive and want to use 95% of the space wouldn't I selecte 2850 GB?

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Technically it's 1024GB is that what you're saying?

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So even though it's technically 1024 don't you lose space in formatting?

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

View attachment 19082
This is basically the same question I'm asking myself for my system, i keep getting hung up in my head on what drive to put the Database on, I keep thinking the database and clips should be on the WD purple drive for best performance. My main drive is is nothing special, but I have a 4TB purple drive for my new system.

Since the purple drive is "designed for constant surveillance use" why would I want to write the DB to a separate drive? The way I understand it then I'm wearing 2 HDD's out moving folders back and forth between HDD's when the DB gets full.

I've watched the Youtube Video twice and I still have that nagging question; if you don't have a "Fast, or good", main HDD (yet) should you put everything on the WD Purple drive? (aside from the OS of course) Then when time and money permits switch to SSD for the Main OS drive and then put the DB back on the SSD with the operating system?

Maybe I'm just confused on what a Database file vs a clip file is and what the difference is.. :

Sorry, more newbie talk I know, I'm not challenging the idea as the advice is clear, just trying to understand the concept and stop overthinking it so much lol...

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Purple drives are great for reliability and size however they run at 5400 RPM which means they are slower than a 7200 RPM drive or better yet a SSD. You want new files and the DB written to the fastest drive you have and those new files can be moved to the Purple drive after 1 day or more if you want through the storage option so you don't need a lot of space on that fast drive. However if your Main OS drive is a 5400 RPM drive as well then it probably does make since to put the new files and DB on the Purple drive or to get another faster drive to put them on. You are right though if you have the new files and DB on an SSD you are wearing that drive out by the constant changes however SSD drives have gotten much better than the first few generations which would often fail after 6 months to 1 year with low to moderate changes, new ones generally last 3 or more years even with frequent changes.

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright, well my main drive is a 7200 rpm baracuda that came with the Dell optiplex and I think my defined space in BlueIris was only 50GB or something for the "new" folder.

I recall seeing somewhere where I should increase the size of the DB folder a bit more, what is yours set at? I will probably increase the size of the DB folder and leave i as is and when I get the SSD I'll plug and play the same way then.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, well my main drive is a 7200 rpm baracuda that came with the Dell optiplex and I think my defined space in BlueIris was only 50GB or something for the "new" folder.

I recall seeing somewhere where I should increase the size of the DB folder a bit more, what is yours set at? I will probably increase the size of the DB folder and leave i as is and when I get the SSD I'll plug and play the same way then.
Have you read the wiki at the top of the page?