Cloned camera crashes my BI

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

Got into a mess yesterday and thought I might have to reinstall from scratch, but I was quick enough this time...

Here's what I did. I wanted to clone my DB1C camera to try out the Area of Interest setting, and zoom in onto my car and have it only active past midnight. My reason for this is that BI doesn't trigger when I'm around my car at night (approx 20-25' away), so I thought the AoI feature might be feasible.

As I understand it, any additional camera with the same rtsp feed will be a clone and not consume extra bandwidth. This isn't the case for me. I used both ways to clone it: I copied it from my DB1C / created new. Either way, BI became unstable and the camera log showed that the clone was using bandwidth, along with really bad frame rate and red text everywhere, and the log window would close by itself. Then shortly after, BI crashed. After restarting the system, BI was still unstable. FPS errors, little yellow triangles everywhere, and the interface kinda blinks every few seconds, the log window wouldn't stay open, and the lag, sometimes completely unresponsive. It got worse, quickly with constant crashes. Sometimes only the Blue Iris Logo would load, then nothing else. When it did load, it would crash in only a few seconds. I had to try to delete this cloned camera in only 2-3 seconds, and the new update info box popping up at each restart didn't help lol. (My BI version is 5.4.8.2 btw)

I began to panic, thinking it was going to be stuck in some loop. But as I said earlier, I was quick enough. After dozens of attempts, trying to be quicker than a computer, I was able to delete the clone and all goes back to normal. At the same time, I'm searching the webs for a Blue Iris Safe Mode coming up with nothing.... then I remembered something in the manual, Regedit! I'll know for next time lol!

Has anyone tried cloning their DB1C? If so, any issues? I've followed tutorials exactly, but with ill results. Is there something I'm missing?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you select in the camera tab for the first camera "Clone Master" and ensured "Clone Master" was not selected for the clone?

Otherwise, it is pulling the feed twice.

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you select in the camera tab for the first camera "Clone Master" and ensured "Clone Master" was not selected for the clone?

Otherwise, it is pulling the feed twice.
Yes, I did that too. Once without any clone master selections, then again with the Clone Mater selected on the first (DB1C); I did notice in the manual how the clone master works.

Should I select the clone master box before cloning? I've been setting it after the fact (when it's responsive enough and lets me).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I usually select it first, clone it, and then go to clone and uncheck the master. But I have done it both ways without an issue.

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I'll try it that way tonight, and mull over some log files. The video I watched was done on an older BI and there wasn't a Clone Master setting in that version, so it wasn't even mentioned.
Thanks for the tip!

Kaiyne

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I've kinda put that on hold for a bit. I got the detection working good, but what I had to do was abandon the substream and only use the main. This gave me better resolution to work with the AoI, and BI was doing good detecting motion. The problem I had was that the hi-res image taken to deepstack is the full image instead of the AoI that I had defined. It really only worked good on a clear sunny day. If the analyzed image was only the cropped version, I'm sure deepstack could identify a person fairly confidently. Can you point to any good articles/videos on working with the AoI?