Closest match to Nest Outdoor but ONVIF/POE based (audio)

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Nest really nailed their setup with the outdoor camera with speaker and microphone. I have a robust Blue Iris setup with tons of cameras but I have yet to nail the outdoor audio. Friends of mine show up with simple Nest setups and have awesome two way audio outside from the start. Usually, we are ahead of the curve with things like BI but this time I feel like we are currently left in the dust.

It seems like the only way to approach the level of the Nest is to mount a Cube or an IPC-A35 like camera outside even though it is an indoor camera. I can get away with this in one spot because I have a protected porch but it seems silly that the Nest exists and can be mounted in any outdoor location.

I don't really want to add external mics and speakers to an audio in/out capable camera. I want one clean single cable camera that does it all.

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

Where is our ONVIF/PIE w/audio outdoor camera? :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Nest really nailed their setup with the outdoor camera with speaker and microphone. I have a robust Blue Iris setup with tons of cameras but I have yet to nail the outdoor audio. Friends of mine show up with simple Nest setups and have awesome two way audio outside from the start. Usually, we are ahead of the curve with things like BI but this time I feel like we are currently left in the dust.

It seems like the only way to approach the level of the Nest is to mount a Cube or an IPC-A35 like camera outside even though it is an indoor camera. I can get away with this in one spot because I have a protected porch but it seems silly that the Nest exists and can be mounted in any outdoor location.

I don't really want to add external mics and speakers to an audio in/out capable camera. I want one clean single cable camera that does it all.

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

Where is our ONVIF/PIE w/audio outdoor camera? :(
mobotix makes outdoor cameras with internal speakers...will cost a lot...but cheaper in the long term than 300 per year for nest..you will have to test audio/video compatibility with BI..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nest is using VoIP for the 2-way audio; the only cameras Ive seen with those capabilities are intercom/doorbell cameras and the quality leaves alot to be desired; even from nest.

Your video stream has a second or two delay, now double that for the return trip and you'll see why using audio off the video channel sucks for 2-way full duplex audio and low latency VoIP is required.. You wont be fooling anyone that your not at home when your stepping all over eachother like news anchors trying to converse over a satellite feed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nest is using VoIP for the 2-way audio; the only cameras Ive seen with those capabilities are intercom/doorbell cameras and the quality leaves alot to be desired; even from nest.

Your video stream has a second or two delay, now double that for the return trip and you'll see why using audio off the video channel sucks for 2-way full duplex audio and low latency VoIP is required.
mobotix uses voip as well...

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea, I'm guessing the VoIP based kit isn't going to pan out too well with BI since it uses RTSP. I'd even settle for a camera that works correctly with BI for video but I am forced to switch to a camera specific app for proper realtime audio & video.

Thanks for the Mobotix pointer, they do have some nice cameras. Door Bird also seems like a viable option but the form factor is a little different than I was hoping for. I'm targeting an upper corner of a porch where I currently have a Hik dome.