Cloud Service Dahua/Hikvision

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about putting up a small ip cam system in my mother's house. It will be a simple system, with 3 or 4 cams (2 in, 2 out), Dahua or Hikvision. I was thinking about using a cloud storage system to store the vidoes in case of motion detection and to have live feed in my mobile.
Anyone has any advice or recommendations regarding a cloud provider?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about putting up a small ip cam system in my mother's house. It will be a simple system, with 3 or 4 cams (2 in, 2 out), Dahua or Hikvision. I was thinking about using a cloud storage system to store the vidoes in case of motion detection and to have live feed in my mobile.
Anyone has any advice or recommendations regarding a cloud provider?

Thanks
cloud is a terrible idea, costly, bandwidth hog and generally have to settle for low bitrate storage...get an NVR or PC nvr software and store video locally.

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
...a dedicated PC might be too much for 3/4 cams....with a NVR can I get the same flexibility I get with a cloud cam system (such as Alor or Nest)? I would like to be able to see the cameras live on my android phone, but also be able to define motion triggers and store the motion detection videos. A NVR can do this?
Sorry, but I am a newbie on this...

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And THIS is the site that will provide you with either the information, or the path of enlightenment to get to your goals.

Take some time and read the posts, a LOT of what you seek has already been asked (HINT - use the Search)

YES an NVR can do those things and more, the PC can do even more..... Check out the Blue Iris section

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
...a dedicated PC might be too much for 3/4 cams....with a NVR can I get the same flexibility I get with a cloud cam system (such as Alor or Nest)? I would like to be able to see the cameras live on my android phone, but also be able to define motion triggers and store the motion detection videos. A NVR can do this?
a dedicated pc can cost the same as an NVR and offer much more functionality...you need a 150 dollar pc and a software package like blue iris 60+10 for mobile app...or free
Arlo is a joke...battery powered cameras are not useful.
yes an nvr can do that.

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I will check the subforums and learn more about NVR/PC. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)