Cloud video backup?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Bored28, Nov 18, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Bored28

Bored28 n3wb

Hello,

Is there any service that offers cloud video back up like what you get from Ring cameras? I have a gigabit connection with no data caps at home so I am not worried about bandwidth limitations. Software used would be Blue Iris .

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Cloud backup is for suckers and relies on an active internet connection...a better option is a hidden Nas...or cheap nvr or bi machine for true redundancy
    You can backup to Google drive if you insist

3. Bored28

Bored28 n3wb

I will have a local option also. I just want to know if there is also a cloud option. Something that would work like the ring cams and record motion events.

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Yes, Google drive...ring heavily compresses the videos.

5. Bored28

Bored28 n3wb

I don't care how ring gets it done, I have a doorbell cam and that video is good enough as a secondary backup. I will check out google drive, thank you.

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Sure...then forget Blue Iris ...get some ring cameras all done..you are not a bank, why you need 2 backup locations is beyond me....get over the cloud OCD..it's an inferior medium.

7. Bored28

Bored28 n3wb

You seem very offended that I want a secondary backup. If you don't that's fine but there is nothing wrong with Local and cloud storage if you can manage it.

8. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Stupidity offends me.

9. Bored28

Bored28 n3wb

Whats stupid about using both?

10. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Totally normal, I suggest a minimum of 3 local backups and no less than 14 cloud backups ..have you thought of what you will do if you PC dies? Power goes out? Network switch dies?

11. Bored28

Bored28 n3wb

If the power goes out I have a whole house generator that will kick on. I have not got to the other things because I was looking at cloud backup. Cloud backup would come in handy in case of fire, water damage, or the kit just gets stolen.

12. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

I suggested hidden local storage...that takes care of water and theft...fire is very rare and arson which is the only thing the video would be useful for is even more rare...and complete destruction die to arson is even more rare... bigger chance of your internet being down, cables lines being cut..etc..remember you are not a bank...if you let your paranioa get hold you will never stop...cloud backup is a scam perpetrated by companies to ensure RMR.

13. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Also note that nobody's walking out of your house with a desktop PC... If you're paranoid lock it down... You should also have an alarm system that limits the time somebody's going to stick around... Cameras will only be useful after the fact if at all..

14. Bored28

Bored28 n3wb

"Remember you're not a bank"

15. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Exactly