CNR 2432 Network question

shocked277

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a crest NVR 32CH with one nic card. I also have NetGear prosafe poe (GS110TP-200NAS switches, with 9- 2.4meg poe ip cameras. The IT department will only give me 1 ip address. If I address NVR with the IP,subnet & gateway, and plug everyone in to the prosafe switches will it all work or do I have a problem. Thanks for any information. Brian

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You have a problem, you need a separate ip address for each camera..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe your IT Department thinks they are analogue cameras. Apologies if you already made that clear to them. If so, they are what we call over here 'numptys'.
But if you really want to see how much they know or can do - ask for a dedicated VLAN for your security system, on security grounds. A reasonable request, in my view.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, IT Departments have been called a lot worse. And are often deliberately unhelpful, especially when they are not that good. But I didn't want to get chucked off this friendly and helpful forum if the bad words filter kicked in.
Happy New Year, Dave!

shocked277

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe your IT Department thinks they are analogue cameras. Apologies if you already made that clear to them. If so, they are what we call over here 'numptys'.
But if you really want to see how much they know or can do - ask for a dedicated VLAN for your security system, on security grounds. A reasonable request, in my view.

The IT department did not know I had a NVR with only one nic. I did not know I needed 2 nic cards till I saw my competitions NVR with 2 nic cards. This made me say hummmmmmm. Now it looks like I have to leave my current NVR vendor and find a vendor who has NVR,S with 2 nics. any suggestions , no way they will give me ip addresses for each camera. They don't want to hand out 600 ip addresses. Not to mention it would drag down their bandwith.....Any other suggestions. Thanks Brian:sad2:

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And the same to you and yours :)

I'm sitting here pondering ordering a 76xx so the 78xx can be updated without any wailing and gnashing of teeth when it goes all Chinese

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just hook your own router up and create your own separate network.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Brian - apologies if my intended-to-be-jokey comment didn't work too well.

It sounds like you're setting up 9 IP cameras and an NVR on a company network.
Networks vary a great deal in terms of scale and their level of sophistication - and ideally should be defined by those whose role it is to do, lest strange things happen.
So not knowing anything about the network, it would be guesswork to offer very specific guidance. As a for example - a sizable network may be logically split into multiple routed segments, each with it's own IP range and gateway, and maybe also segregated into VLANs according to function and sensitivity. That would not be a scenario where you could, or should, do your own thing. Yours may be somewhere in between that and a typical domestic LAN, which is the context of your last comment.

But it's also wrong that the 'IT Department' appear to be rather unhelpful - after all, you presumably all work for the same organisation and have a shared interest in its success.

But 'hand out 600 IP addresses' is a bit of a puzzle - where does that come from? You just need one for each IP device you want to add to the network. Whatever type of network - allocating 10 addresses should not be a problem. And it should not be forcing you to abandon the product of your choice for the uncertainty of another model or brand.

shocked277

n3wb
Reaction score
Well the 600 ip addresses came from....they currently have about 600 analog cameras working between the 2 hospital campuses .... I know they want to start changing analog cameras out for IP HD cameras. I am starting this process with about 20 for now to see how it goes. The It Department has given me 1 IP address, subnet and gateway. I thought I could use a router and put in the ip, subnet, and gateway with a DNS on the internet provider side of the router and then everything else on the netgear switches plug in to the router and port forward the NVR. Will this not work? Thank you for all your help. Brian

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that changes things a bit, a lot in fact.
For that scale, you'd need to look at the whole thing, network, storage and all. The traffic level alone in aggregate is well beyond gigabit, assuming there is some centralisation. And the storage and access requirements move it into the enterprise class of SAN architecture.
No disrespect, there is probably a need to engage a supplier who can demonstrate a track record on something of similar scale. And that's after you have defined the requirements, objectives, budget and success factors.
You could fairly easily work up a system to operate 20 cameras using a simple approach - but it would simply not scale out to 600 without being designed and architected with that end-point in mind.

shocked277

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand and that I in the future and I will have some time to look in to that , about a year in the future. I for now just need the 10 cameras on a single NVR at one location. you are correct in saying some will have to plan out the infrastructure for the future project. I just want to get the 10 cams going for the OR section ...Will what I described in the other post with a router work? Thanks Brian

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so in effect you're doing a 'proof of concept' of the video quality and viewing/playback features on a small collection of IP HD cameras, with any large-scale implementation design deferred till later.
Let me try to make some suggestions, and ask others to chip in as well.

for now just need the 10 cameras on a single NVR at one location
That makes things easier, in the sense that you may not have to integrate much with the existing network infrastructure, which for the observers here is an unknown quantity.
But is part of what you must do the ability to view the NVR (Live view, playback etc) at a location remote from the cameras, but presumably still via the hospital network?
If so, that precludes the ability to create an isolated network, where you could choose and use your own IP addresses for NVR and cameras. And on the assumption that the premises cabling is run back to wiring closets, you could still potentially make use of just the cabling infrastructure for an isolated network.
Much the simplest solution if you want to make use of the NVR you have is to convince the IT Department to assign you an IP address for each device you need to connect to the network (ie NVR and cameras), cable these all into your switch (which is a Gigabit layer-2 POE switch with some IP facilities including a web admin and well suited to your task), and assign you a physical port on the wiring closet network switches for uplink to the main network.

I think you've figured that if you use a Hikvision POE NVR, it has a built-in separate network via the POE switches where you could set up cameras independent of the hospital network, and only attach the NVR LAN port to the hospital network. That could certainly be a 'Plan B' if the IT Department doesn't change their stance.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you've figured that if you use a Hikvision POE NVR, it has a built-in separate network via the POE switches where you could set up cameras independent of the hospital network, and only attach the NVR LAN port to the hospital network. That could certainly be a 'Plan B' if the IT Department doesn't change their stance.
Using the KISS principal, I'd be inclined to have that as my plan 'A'

shocked277

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes well I guess the biggest problem is that I have a contractor in the same 2 hospitals that has always wanted to get the work I have. They were asked by a separate department to install some ip cameras. So in essence they were the first to do the IP Cams in this hospital and now I am following this. They were only given one ip and have their system up and going and hospital is happy with it. I was asked by a separate department to install 30 cameras half of them IP 3MP other half on a different system analog. My biggest problem is ( the other contractor did not need more then one IP so I don't understand why you do))...This is what I am hearing. So for me I don't want to loose that foot in the door after 9 years...So my situation is a bit complicated and I guess I am looking for the best and non confrontational solution...I have really appreciate all your help and other members. Thank you Brian

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible that the other contractor used an NVR with built in poe...those only need a single ip address (for the cams connected to the nvr's poe) because the nvr itself creates its own "network" and assigns ip address.
Also how are these system set up? Is there a security room where all these systems are being monitored? do they even need remote access or a connection to the internet? Can you just run a self contained network?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Brian...

The answer to life the universe and almost everything was given in post #8 #9 11# and maybe others.

so I don't understand why you do))...This is what I am hearing
Inform the IT dept that there are many ways to skin a cat (very poor attempt at a pun intended), but you can run with what's available (until the goal posts are moved).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Having read and thought about the other helpful responses - and the significance of your statement about the competitor and the single IP address you have available (unreasonable though that is ... but it sounds like politically you don't want to challenge that) - you should be able to achieve what you want with a Hikvision POE NVR, assuming (though you haven't mentioned this) that the camera choice is yet to be made, or is compatible.
But for 20 cameras - or is it half of 30? - you will need one of the high-end NVRs for the traffic level, and to get enough POE ports for an isolated network.
Does the NVR (Live view / Playback) need to be accessible from anywhere on the hospital network?