Comments/advice on my Dahua system?

JC258

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at setting up a camera system as I saw one my dad had installed recently and didnt mind the quality he was getting from it (I'm also from Aus btw). I live in a strata corporation in a townhouse at the back and have approval for the install of two cameras. One would be front access (pointed at the the chokepoint of the driveway) and one at rear access (my small backyard). Luckily I am in between two other townhouses and wont need any other cameras.

The system I had been thinking of:
- Dahua NVR4104-P-4KS2

- Dahua IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE for the front (or the IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE)

- Dahua IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE for the rear

I was wondering if anyone would have comments or recommendations about this system? I was unsure if I should look at the starlight range like the IPC-HDW5231R-Z etc for the night vision (of course more expensive too).

I know there has been a lot of negativity with the Dahua brand given the ban in the US, are there steps or methods to take to increase my security / reduce my susceptibility?

Edit: also do I have my box next to my TV? I'd ideally have my box in my garage next to my router and then use some kind of web viewer/browser on my laptop connected to my TV. Would save running 3 ethernet to my lounge room.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of negativity with the Dahua brand given the ban in the US, are there steps or methods to take to increase my security / reduce my susceptibility?
Perhaps others with more familiarity about the specific Dahua NVR and cams you have mentioned will comment about their specific pros and cons, I just want to clarify your statement above regarding ".... the Dahua brand given the ban in the US."

Dahua has NOT been banned in the U.S. The law has banned the "...use of Dahua and Hikvision (and their OEMs) for the US government, for US government-funded contracts and possibly for 'critical infrastructure' and 'national security' usage."

More about it on ipvm ==>> here.

JC258

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps others with more familiarity about the specific Dahua NVR and cams you have mentioned will comment about their specific pros and cons, I just want to clarify your statement above regarding ".... the Dahua brand given the ban in the US."

Dahua has NOT been banned in the U.S. The law has banned the "...use of Dahua and Hikvision (and their OEMs) for the US government, for US government-funded contracts and possibly for 'critical infrastructure' and 'national security' usage."

More about it on ipvm ==>> here.
Ah yes sorry that was my stuff up. I figured that since the US government had banned it, there might be less usage of the Dahua brand by US residents.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I figured that since the US government had banned it, there might be less usage of the Dahua brand by US residents.
Possibly. IMO, any Chinese camera or network device should be viewed with the same scrutiny. To think that Dahua or Hikvision is any more suspect that other brands is foolish. But you are right, some folks will avoid only what they understand.

Most important, forum members here that have paid attention and understand the risks should have already enacted measures to help protect their own networks and network devices. If done correctly, there's no reason to not safely enjoy the benefits of video surveillance and the use of the Internet in general.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes sorry that was my stuff up. I figured that since the US government had banned it, there might be less usage of the Dahua brand by US residents.
To clarify, even US government agencies can still keep using their current dahua and hik equipment. The statute prohibits new contracts. Smaller chinese camera makers are a much higher risk because their code is rarely scrutinized. The law itself is effectively useless in terms of security (and may in fact result in using equipment that has more vulnerabilities) and meant as a punch towards china. As tony said, simply block off internet access and you will be ok.

JC258

n3wb
Reaction score
To clarify, even US government agencies can still keep using their current dahua and hik equipment. The statute prohibits new contracts. Smaller chinese camera makers are a much higher risk because their code is rarely scrutinized. The law itself is effectively useless in terms of security (and may in fact result in using equipment that has more vulnerabilities) and meant as a punch towards china. As tony said, simply block off internet access and you will be ok.
Is there a way to effectively block most of the access while still being able to utilise the gDMSS app and/or view from a laptop connected to my TV?