comparing two dahuas

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I continue reading the cliff notes to gain more understanding. Each time I read, I understand a bit more of cam technology.

referencing these two models:
IPC-HDW5231R turret 2.8mm FOV 110 deg
IPC-HDBW4231 - wedge 2.8mm FOV 110 deg

between the turret and the wedge, these two models, they appear similar in FOV. Their form factor is different, HDBW4231 being smaller. Would it be safe to assume that if I was to install the wedge, I would expect similar picture quality results as the turret, for both day and night time ? If that is true, would it safe to say that I can just install the wedge all around, instead of the turret? If that's not the case, what am I getting more from the turret, in terms of pic quality that I may not get from the wedge.

apologies in advance, if I am overlooking something obvious that would differentiate the two cams

cheers !

Last edited:

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5231 is a vari-focal (often incorrectly called "zoom") while 4231 is fixed-focus
with that (vari-focal), I can magnify (zoom) in the image whereas with fixed focus, the image seen will be 'as is', correct?

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, Varifocal allows you to frame the exact field of view that you need.
thank you for the feedback. I can see the advantage of turret, being veri focal over the fixed focal of the wedge.
hmm.... I really like the low 'profileness' (yes, I just made up that word :lol:) of the wedge and would have like to use it all around but I guess one shoe does NOT fit all :winktongue:
The turrets veri-focals would be better suited for the front of the house on both sides of the garage to get maximum coverage and details, protecting the front of the house.

I will buy a wedge and use it initially in my 'test rig - bucket of rocks and a long board) and gather some cam details and see just where it would serve best.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thank you for the feedback. I can see the advantage of turret, being veri focal over the fixed focal of the wedge.
hmm.... I really like the low 'profileness' (yes, I just made up that word :lol:) of the wedge and would have like to use it all around but I guess one shoe does NOT fit all :winktongue:
The turrets veri-focals would be better suited for the front of the house on both sides of the garage to get maximum coverage and details, protecting the front of the house.

I will buy a wedge and use it initially in my 'test rig - bucket of rocks and a long board) and gather some cam details and see just where it would serve best.
The wedge will have weaker IR and also suffer from ir reflection