Comparison of LTS 5MP turret to their 2MP Ultra low light turret

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those who are curious or wanted to see day/night comparison. Both cameras mounted at the same location side by side. Factory settings. Neighborhood is totally dark. No street lights, no driveway lights...2MP has a FOV of 86.4 degrees, the 5MP has a FOV of 63.5 degrees. Both are 4mm lens

Driveway 2mp.jpg Driveway 5mp.jpg Driveway 2mp cat2.jpg Driveway 5mp cat3.jpg

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From LTS, The HIK equivalent is DS-2CD2325FWD-I. The 5MP is an LTS CMIP3352W.
I have a 3MP HIK Ultra Low light coming today from LTS so I can do more comparisons. That will be a DS-2CD2335FWD-I

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dang I was just going to do a similar comparison this week but with the older glass 2mp dome vs the new hikvision 2.0 mp ull

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry 4mp... The other cameras are 5mp ultra low light from Dauha; the 4mp are not ultra low light (LTS) and they have beautiful image quality at 1/500 at night with no additional lighting. Just turn on the IR via scheduling and the image looks perfect.
impossible....its technically impossible...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's not impossible I did it... When you manipulate firmware you can do anything; the linux embedded kernel has mpeg4 compression plugin to use with NPAPII plugins. I can change the shutter speed from there and then change the way that H.264 recognizes the video compression (I frame, P frame) H.264 can be manipulated to recognize static with NPAPII plugins. The "starlight series (LTS)" , also known as the 'Ultra low light series' cameras look better at night, but for my need the 1/500 of a second shutter speed works perfectly at night time.

*Image gain is another assertive that comes into consideration.

I really love this forum, learned a lot from it, and thank you +Fenderman for your support and quick replies.
You are lying. It is impossible to get a good image at night at 1/500 without serious additional lighting...that is simply a fact...nothing you do to "manipulate the firmware" will change that...your statement about manipulating the firmware is just a bunch off bull...give it a rest..(even if what you are saying were to be magically true, it would not be applicable to the average user)..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh okay... I did it, and why would I even lie about it; I really don't care... I am just saying it is possible. I will get authorization to post the pictures and videos so you can see; this is a government owned facility. H.264 can be manipulated to remove static, turn on H.264+ and look at the difference with the static...

I really appreciate your time, and good night; also thank you for the fast replies.
I have no idea why you are lying but you must think we are pretty dumb here. It is not possible. Anyone here can take their camera and set it to 1/500 and see for themselves...you should try it...Dont come here and lie, it is not acceptable. BULL about it being a government owned facility - you would never get a government contract..is that the ONLY facility you have installed these magic cams on? You are a fraud. This kind of nonsense will not be tolerated.
FYI h.264+ has not effect on "static" (using that term alone proves you are lying)...its simply a smart codec to reduce bandwidth...fool.

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those of you still following along. Here are some additional pics and I added in the HIK 3MP ULL camera to the same location. For the night pics, I disabled the IR light on the 2 cameras not being tested. In other words, for the 5MP night pic, I turned off the 2MP and 3MP IR lights. Did the same for the other 2 camera night shots. Only used that camera's IR light. Having all 3 on does make a difference. I added some craft paper letters to each pic to get an idea of resolution. All 3 cameras are factory settings other than I changed the view to "outdoors" from the factory "indoor" setting. The nightime shots were just before 9PM, so while not true pitch dark nighttime, but it had just rained so there was no starlight/moonlight. Still... same location, same time comparison.

2MP late day.jpg 2MP night.jpg 3MP late day.jpg 3MP night.jpg 5MP late day.jpg 5MP night.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Great comparisons @JamesR thanks again.
Obvious the 2MP still performs better in low light as we've been seeing and of course 4MP+ gets a bit better detail during the day.

By the way, we have the same exact coach lights. I stuck 1200 lumen led's in them and leave them on at night and get good forced color image quality with moving objects with my 2MP Starlights..

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman,
Thanks for going back and cleaning up this thread. I looked at it yesterday and regretted trying to help/contribute with comparisons that I thought would be of use to the folks on this forum.
Aside from that, my driveway is a tough spot to get a decent night pic. Between it being all flat black and the street being the same, it is very dark out there. I have since moved the cameras to other locations based on what I thought each cameras pros/cons were. 5MP Front of house, 2MP rear of house and 3MP driveway. I will try to get some pics of those uploaded later.
bigredfish,
Those are lights I got Home Depot. What do those bulbs you installed look like to the naked eye at night?