Complete beginner here! Can I get a few recommendations?

Reaction score
With so many cameras, I am a little at a loss as to how to proceed.
My needs.

Outdoor mounted camera
1080 at least
Night vision
Zoom of at least X10
Pan
Tilt
Preferably with batteries if at all possible
Under $300
The ones I took a look at that made me decide to come here, were:

1: Amcrest ProHD Fixed Outdoor 3-Megapixel (2304 x 1296P) Wi-Fi Vandal Dome IP Security Camera
2: FDT Outdoor PTZ HD 720P WiFi IP Camera

Basically it's for a outdoor mounted system, watching the front of my house in an increasingly crime ridden neighborhood, and I'd like to find a way to watch it on my big screen with the press of a button of that can be made to happen. I mean I could cast my android device to my TV, but there must be a better way?

Any solid suggestions for a good entry level camera, appreciated!
TMB

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With so many cameras, I am a little at a loss as to how to proceed.
My needs.

Outdoor mounted camera
1080 at least
Night vision
Zoom of at least X10
Pan
Tilt
Preferably with batteries if at all possible
Under $300
The ones I took a look at that made me decide to come here, were:

1: Amcrest ProHD Fixed Outdoor 3-Megapixel (2304 x 1296P) Wi-Fi Vandal Dome IP Security Camera
2: FDT Outdoor PTZ HD 720P WiFi IP Camera

Basically it's for a outdoor mounted system, watching the front of my house in an increasingly crime ridden neighborhood, and I'd like to find a way to watch it on my big screen with the press of a button of that can be made to happen. I mean I could cast my android device to my TV, but there must be a better way?

Any solid suggestions for a good entry level camera, appreciated!
TMB
Welcome Biff,

Batteries - not much with batteries will meet your requirements.

From the requirements you have provided: ( sans battery )
You want to look at a Dahua Starlight PTZ - iirc SD49225T-HN or a similar model
comes close to your price w/o a PoE switch

If you are OK without the PTZ requirement, then look at the Dahua starlight models, please see the links below for more info.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Reaction score
Thanks! I am wondering what the next model was after tat, because that model, the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), no longer appears as a purchase option on the Dahua website.
THanks again.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! I am wondering what the next model was after tat, because that model, the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), no longer appears as a purchase option on the Dahua website.
THanks again.
Hi Biff,

If you are talking about Empire - they are currently out of stock - but plan to have more, that model is still in production.

If you need a camera right away do contact Andy look for EmpireTecAndy, he maybe able to help.
[ I've added his email into the notes.. see #15 iirc ]

Last edited: