Complete newb with a cheap NVR

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm no a complete newb to NVRs but.. I just purchased a new cheap NVR unit that came with 4 wireless IP cameras. The GUI seems decent, but restricted. Is this unit limited to just 4 channels only? Seems like you should be able to add additional channels. Is it because itll only support 4 wireless devices?

Either way the app is kinda shady and registration for an account is impossible it seems. The local LAN browser interface is incompatible.

I'm trying to determine if there is an easy way to flash the firmware with an open source NVR firmware? Or is that even a thing? Any input would be awesome!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm no a complete newb to NVRs but.. I just purchased a new cheap NVR unit that came with 4 wireless IP cameras. The GUI seems decent, but restricted. Is this unit limited to just 4 channels only? Seems like you should be able to add additional channels. Is it because itll only support 4 wireless devices?

Either way the app is kinda shady and registration for an account is impossible it seems. The local LAN browser interface is incompatible.

I'm trying to determine if there is an easy way to flash the firmware with an open source NVR firmware? Or is that even a thing? Any input would be awesome!
you dont provide the model...
Any nvr that comes with 4 wireless cameras is crap. You cannot flash other firmware to it. Return this crap and start over. Begin with the cliff notes.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome @Mattattakks

fenderman gives good advice on this. WiFi cameras in general have numerous issues which result in a less than reliable and robust setup. If you can, look to setup a wired IP PoE setup.

Numerous cheap wifi kits are really bad ways to spend money imho.

If you're on a tight budget look to see if you have a PC you can repurpose to be a "NVR" + buy a affordable POE switch.

Sometimes you can find nice deals on clearance for quality older model IP PoE cameras, for example this one during St. Patty's week had an additional 20% off - now expired.
Swann 5MP Super HD Bullet Security Camera 4 Pack - NHD-850 (Plain Box Packaging)

While not ideal ( bullets have issues with spider webs ) - when 20% off that was 4 decent IP PoE cameras for $240 ( $60 per camera ).

That's just an example.

IF you can afford better - look at the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight models.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan