Computer freezing?

tigerpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
My computer keeps freezing while running Blue Iris. It's a desktop I built specifically to run Blue Iris with 3 Hikvision 3mp cams. Though the machine is now two years old, I didn't skimp on parts: Intel i7-4770, Gigabyte motherboard, 8GB Kingston RAM, WD RED series hard drive. My Blue Iris version is 4.3.0.11 x64. I'm running Windows 10, but had the issue on 8.1 before upgrading.

When the issue occurs, the entire system freezes. The display is as if someone took a screenshot, with Blue Iris showing whatever happened to be on the screen at that particular moment and the Windows clock displaying the time of the freeze. No subsequent recording occurs and the web server and mobile apps don't connect. There's no blue screen or shutdown, which would actually be much preferable. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it's happened twice in the past 16 hours but sometimes doesn't happen for several days.

Outside of Windows, I only run two applications on the system: Blue Iris and a utility called "Restart On Crash" which I had to install because Blue Iris occasionally crashes. I have a batch file which starts both on boot up, and have the system set to reboot every 24 hours to clean things up. The computer is also configured to automatically restart after a shutdown or power outage. As a security system, I basically want it to be up as close to 24/7 as possible. When the system freezes, the 24 hour reboot does not occur and the system doesn't respond to the mouse or keyboard. I have to physically restart the system via the power button on the computer case. Which means I often lose coverage at night or while away from home, the primary times I need it.

I realize this might not be a Blue Iris issue, but wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences or suggestions. I'd love any suggestions anyone might have.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is your CPU consumption when this happens? I would test the memory and if it comes back okay do a clean install Windows 10 and make sure all your drivers and bios are updated

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did the op ever solve this? I get random freezes, mouse only not keyboard. Latest drivers don't help.

Going to make a clean install of win 10 but I can see that being a pain to do and reinstall everything

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the op ever solve this? I get random freezes, mouse only not keyboard. Latest drivers don't help.

Going to make a clean install of win 10 but I can see that being a pain to do and reinstall everything
blue iris should basically be the only thing running on your pc...
download the microsoft media creation tool.
export blue iris settings.
the reinstall should take less than 30 minuets.

mcapps

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to note that I'm experiencing the exact same issue. i7-4771, H97, 16GB RAM, 2526GB SSD + 18TB Storage, Server 2012 R2. 64-cameras loaded into BlueIris.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to note that I'm experiencing the exact same issue. i7-4771, H97, 16GB RAM, 2526GB SSD + 18TB Storage, Server 2016. 64-cameras loaded into BlueIris.
did you perform a clean install? did you check for a memory leak..

mcapps

n3wb
Reaction score
Very clean install, including a fresh loading of individual cameras vs using import/export. I used Windows Memory Diagnostic tool last week to attempt to troubleshoot RAM, but all came back clean.

Something interesting - I don't experience any locks/freezes when running in Server 2016 evaluation compared to clean installs of Server 2012 R2 or Win 10.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very clean install, including a fresh loading of individual cameras vs using import/export. I used Windows Memory Diagnostic tool last week to attempt to troubleshoot RAM, but all came back clean.

Something interesting - I don't experience any locks/freezes when running in Server 2016 evaluation compared to clean installs of Server 2012 R2 or Win 10.
there are known memory leaks with certain intel hd drivers...search the forum for memory leak..

mcapps

n3wb
Reaction score
Server 2016 uses it's own drivers for Intel HD. That may very well explain why other OS's crash but 2016 doesn't. I'd think Win10 would share similar drivers, but I guess the leak could be present there as well. Found the articles related to the memory leaks, so giving that a try, thanks!