Computer maintenance with BI

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious what everyone is doing as far as monthly maintenance on your BI computers and how it's setup. Some of my specifics are:

1. Do you patch every super Tuesday and reboot monthly? Insider builds? I noticed BI is pretty good at patching for insider build versions.
2. Does your computer autologin and launch BI admin automatically in the event of a power outage?
3. Are you running any other 3rd party software on there or just keeping it bare minimum with BI?

Interested to hear of some other suggestions to keep this computer patched and running optimally without much monthly maintenance. Coming from the Mac side so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT!

1. I download but choose when to install, usually monthly.
2. I have PC and POE switch on battery backup, good for 1/2 hour run time.
3. Nope...BI only.

EDIT: @bp2008 's post reminded me: I have BI Tools, also (of course).

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! Long-time lurker I see from your join date!

1) Nope and nope. I went to some effort to prevent automatic windows updates on my main BI computers. I am (perhaps unwisely) not terribly concerned about OS security patches on those machines since I very rarely use a web browser on them, and I don't like unexpected downtime from regular updates.

2) No, but BI runs as a service so it does start automatically in the background even without Windows being logged in.

3) I do run other software on there. Teamviewer, BI Tools, BI Update Helper, CPU temp monitoring, occasionally a web browser like pale moon to configure cameras. Not other resource-intensive services like Plex or anything.