Computer recommendation for BI?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have looked at the recommendations on what CPU is recommended for Blue Iris. That is not a problem. What I am wanting is case specific if possible. Since the recordings need to be kept for a longer than average time, I need more HDD space. I would like to be able to have 2 4TB HDD besides the SSD OS drive. What refurbished on Ebay, or Amazon seem to fit the bill? I look, but just can't seem to find any literature on them which tells how many more HDD's can be added to each one.
I have my own server that I made, but I'm trying to save some money for a friend of mine and buy one with an i7 6700 or better.
Most have suggested the Dell or HP line for this, but will a SFF work with these requirements? I would really love a mini, but that will not hold 2 HDDs. I will continue to look, but hope someone can point me in the right direction in case I can't find something.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking at a Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini tower which is larger, but it really has no more room for 2 hdd's, besides the SSD for the OS. I'll keep looking. Hopefully somebody will see this and shoot me a possibility. I may just have to build my own. I hope not.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm talking about the Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini tower. I thought it would hold more than 1- 3.5 hdd but it does not not. Not that I see anyway.
As for building my own, that is easy for a case.
It is the buying of the Dell or Optiplex that is kicking my butt right now. If I only needed 1 HDD, that would not be a problem. But I want an SSD, and 2 HDD.

Reaction score
I'm talking about the Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini tower. I thought it would hold more than 1- 3.5 hdd but it does not not. Not that I see anyway.
As for building my own, that is easy for a case.
It is the buying of the Dell or Optiplex that is kicking my butt right now. If I only needed 1 HDD, that would not be a problem. But I want an SSD, and 2 HDD.
comes down to 1 x 3.5" bay slot or 2 x 3.5" bay slot in the computer description. For simple sake... get your buddy a midi tower and move on. Those are the most found on eBay or refurbished sites.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the computer has an optical disc drive, you can take that out and put in another HDD. That is what I did. But I didn't get a mini, just a standard desktop off a refurbished site.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you say a standard desktop, you are not talking SFF are you. You are talking the regular size desktop PC. What model do you suggest? At this point, I just want to find something. I don't care if it is a big monster anymore.

Reaction score
When you say a standard desktop, you are not talking SFF are you. You are talking the regular size desktop PC. What model do you suggest? At this point, I just want to find something. I don't care if it is a big monster anymore.
heck..if you were in the Reno, NV area...I'd just give you my old one I still have laying around with a i7-4770 CPU & motherboard. Mid-tower Dell. Dell Optiplex..9010? 9020? I forget.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine is a SFF.

When I got mine, I simply went to the links provided for each CPU in the wiki and then found one that met my price point:

Since you said you want an i7-6700, the wiki pulls up this page:

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice gesture. I'll find something sooner or later. It may be later, but I'll find one. I just do a lot of searching first to make sure I find the best possible scenario I can. Maybe overkill, but it usually works for me.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine is a SFF.

When I got mine, I simply went to the links provided for each CPU in the wiki and then found one that met my price point:

Since you said you want an i7-6700, the wiki pulls up this page:

It doesn't even have to be in i6700. It could be a 7700 or above if possible. Like I said above, I'll keep looking and searching. I'll eventually find something. :smash:

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
It doesn't even have to be in i6700. It could be a 7700 or above if possible. Like I said above, I'll keep looking and searching. I'll eventually find something. :smash:
something to consider. Since your friend is JUST starting out with Blue Iris and cameras... might be wise start with something not so powerful as a 6700 or 7700 or higher. I ran a i7-4770 cpu for a whole year with 15+ cameras fine and dandy (and this was before the glorious substream change). Dont go chasing faster CPU's just as you should not go chasing camera megapixels :)

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Understood. I think I just may change my thinking though. Just do 1 larger HDD along with the SSD for the OS. That will open up my options for a computer case size.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now, I just need to find a good buy on a refurb from Dell or HP. I will need 2 of them, as he needs for multiple locations.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have found an Optiplex 7040. I also has a Radeon R7 350x gpu. I don't need the gpu, so I can just take it out unless it would be beneficial.

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the computer has an optical disc drive, you can take that out and put in another HDD. That is what I did. But I didn't get a mini, just a standard desktop off a refurbished site.
Wittaj, I am trying to kluge in a 5.25' WD 6TB purple as my second drive by removing the DVD drive and using its cables for the 6TB drive. However, there are 3 connectors on the 6TB drive. One of them only has 2 pins. What is that connector for, and is it necessary to work?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a picture. I remember I took the power from the DVD to power the HDD and then added the SATA cable. I only remember connecting two cables to it.