Condensation in HFW-1831E lens...how to open lens?

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got two HFW-1831E right next to each other. One of them has condensation in the lens due to cold weather/rain today. Does anyone know how to open the camera lens housing and clear it out?

I've done this before with Amcrest bullet cameras which have a round structure and I simply just twist out the lens housing. But since the HFW-1831E is a square housing, I'm not sure how this would work.

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The black piece that covers the front of the cam can be pried off. Use a pin knife or such. Go slowly and carefully.
This will expose the screws to remove cam from housing.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The black piece that covers the front of the cam can be pried off. Use a pin knife or such. Go slowly and carefully.
This will expose the screws to remove cam from housing.
Do I need to dismount the camera from the wall or I can possibly do it with the camera mounted still?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do I need to dismount the camera from the wall or I can possibly do it with the camera mounted still?
I would recommend dismounting as you will want to also dry out the silica packs and reassemble in a dry location.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's raining today so looks like i'll have to do this job tomorrow then. What a bummer I have to dismount it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check to make sure they did put silica packs in it at the factory.
Make sure the cable at the back of the case is properly sealed, when finished.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you probably don't HAVE to dismount it, but you'll certainly need to open it up and replace or supplement the silica pack inside.
you can either pull out the existing one and 'bake' it dry in a low oven, or just cram another 'fresh' one in there somewhere...

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, it stopped raining and sun came out. So real nice and warm. I was able to crack it open without dismounting it. Pry open the piano black front face and reveals 4 screws like you said. Once 4 screws removed, the entire front housing cover came off. I did not see any silica gel from the front but I put a silica gel pack and shoved one in there. Let's see if this solution will work. More rain to come these next few days.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, it stopped raining and sun came out. So real nice and warm. I was able to crack it open without dismounting it. Pry open the piano black front face and reveals 4 screws like you said. Once 4 screws removed, the entire front housing cover came off. I did not see any silica gel from the front but I put a silica gel pack and shoved one in there. Let's see if this solution will work. More rain to come these next few days.
Hi @MakeItRain

Please try to take a few pictures to share with others so they can also learn how to take the covers off.

Thanks

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @MakeItRain

Please try to take a few pictures to share with others so they can also learn how to take the covers off.

Thanks
I may have to do it again tomorrow... it seems to be condensating again but slightly. If it gets worse, I'll take pictures.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I may have to do it again tomorrow... it seems to be condensating again but slightly. If it gets worse, I'll take pictures.
The reason we suggested taking it down, is you need to take it indoors into a low humidity environment and let the cam dry out for 24hrs. Then reassemble it while still in the low humidity environment.