Conduit question

odie451

n3wb
Reaction score
Last week I was able to get in on the Lorex 4k camera deal. My question is when installing the cameras, should I run conduit inside the attic, or just on the outside. If I should run conduit inside the attic, would i need to do individual conduit runs from the nvr to each camera location.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Conduit is not necessary inside or in your attic.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last week I was able to get in on the Lorex 4k camera deal. My question is when installing the cameras, should I run conduit inside the attic, or just on the outside. If I should run conduit inside the attic, would i need to do individual conduit runs from the nvr to each camera location.
I would use a 3/4" schedule 40 PVC to each camera because if you should have mice in your attic from time to time. They are notorious for eating cable insulation. They don't eat PVC electrical conduit.

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
I used this thicker direct burial cable in my attic without conduits: http://a.co/caYdLYj
Almost every attic will house mice, but I have had no problems with this cable yet.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Odie451,

That was a very sweet deal.

Conduit, there's been some great replies so far.

I used the grey PVC conduit ( 3/4" + ) in my attic to help route the cables into sections where the attic space was too low for me to easily go.
I simply pushed the PVC tubes - and glued each additional tube to the prior one - pushed some more - repeated until I reached the corners I need to get to.
Secured both ends ( cut a small hole in the ceiling drywall in the corner areas - patched nicely later ), and pulled cables with a fish tape with help.

Worked fairly well, well enough that I would do it again.

If you have lots of head room in the attic, you can of course just use the cable without the conduit - tho considering the rat / mouse issue - and PVC 3/4" conduit is rather affordable, it seems like a good way to go. Just try not to do more than one 90 degree bend if you can - otherwise the pull will get much more difficult.

Last edited:

odie451

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Odie451,

That was a very sweet deal.

Conduit, there's been some great replies so far.

I used the grey PVC conduit ( 3/4" + ) in my attic to help route the cables into sections where the attic space was too low for me to easily go.
I simply pushed the PVC tubes - and glued each additional tube to the prior one - pushed some more - repeated until I reached the corners I need to get to.
Secured both ends ( cut a small hole in the ceiling drywall in the corner areas - patched nicely later ), and pulled cables with a fish tape with help.

Worked fairly well, well enough that I would do it again.

If you have lots of head room in the attic, you can of course just use the cable without the conduit - tho considering the rat / mouse issue - and PVC 3/4" conduit is rather affordable, it seems like a good way to go. Just try not to do more than one 90 degree bend if you can - otherwise the pull will get much more difficult.
Parts of the attic I can maneuver in, main living room, kitchen, dining, and master bedroom are cathedral ceilings.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about mice.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk